Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers,

Yesterday, I went to a student office, and had to fill out a form.

However, I didn't know what to write down on the form as other information is needed.

So I said,

"Uh..I don't have idea of what to write as I don't have additional document right now"

Is it a good expression?

Thanks.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand. Usually what is required on a form is right there on the form (name, address, etc.). Also, if you have a question you can ask the person who is standing right in front pf you in the office.

:-?

katnoric32

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
The form needed some ID number or other things which I couldn't memorize. Those are on the other document. I am not talking about the situation. I am talking about the English expression. I can't ask them to correct my English expression sentence by sentence who were busy with many students at the same time. Which part did you not understand?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't understand.
I think the OP means that s/he knew what information should be written but couldn't remember the information, which was in other documents the OP didn't have in hand.

Not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Firstly, you omitted a word from your title.
Secondly, you omitted a (different) word from the first line of what you said.

Thirdly, your statement is understandable but would be more natural as simply "Sorry, I can't fill that box/line/section in because I can't remember my ID number".

Note that in BrE it's "fill in" a form, in AmE it's "fill out" a form. For simplicity, you can just use "complete" a form.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, yesbazaar.:-D

Actually, the better one to use probably depends on the context. We know the context and 'I have no idea' is fine.

Please read this extract from the Forum Rules:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.