Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello from Poland!!

My name is Anna and I need your help.
I’m writing an article about English loanwords in Polish. I would be very grateful if you could help me answer one simple question.

Below is a list of a few Polish verbs which in recent years entered the Polish language and underwent a few changes to become a part of Polish lexicon (mostly informal language). What I’d like you to do is to write which of the words (e.g. 1,4,5,6…) you are able to recognize as coming from English and the meaning is clear to you. Some of them did not change much so the choice will not be surprising but I hope I will be able to draw some conclusions.

Here is a tip to understanding Polish verbs necessary for you to do the task.
In Polish, each infinitive has an inflectional suffix, by some linguists called verbalizer. Here, the suffix is OWA and the infinitive ending Ć. The whole ending OWAĆ would more or less mean “to do”. The part of the word called the stem (when you cut off the ending OWAĆ) is the borrowed part.

Here is the list
1. Googlować
2. Hejtować
3. Lajkować
4. Mejlować
5. Tagować
6. Szerować
7. Serczować
8. Komentować
9. Aktywizować
10. Aprowidować
11. Bukować
12. Esemesować
13. Drenować
14. Dryblować
15. Miksować
16. Obrandować
17. Pilingować
18. Relaksować
19. Skanować
20. Serwować
21. Splisować
22. Sprejować
23. Trenować
24. Trymować
25. Zaczekować

I’d be very grateful if you answered the question. I’d be even more grateful if you posted it further so that more speakers of English could do the same for me. Please do not consult any Polish speakers :) It will not make any sense then.
THANK YOU!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello from Poland!!

I’m writing an article about English loanwords in Polish. I would be very grateful if you could help me answer one simple question.

Below is a list of a few Polish verbs which in recent years entered the Polish language and underwent a few changes to become a part of Polish lexicon (mostly informal language). What I’d like you to do is to write which of the words (e.g. 1,4,5,6…) you are able to recognize as coming from English and the meaning is clear to you. Some of them did not change much so the choice will not be surprising but I hope I will be able to draw some conclusions.

In Polish, each infinitive has an inflectional suffix, by some linguists called verbalizer. Here, the suffix is OWA and the infinitive ending Ć. The whole ending OWAĆ would more or less mean “to do”. The part of the word called the stem (when you cut off the ending OWAĆ) is the borrowed part.

Here is the list
1. Googlować

to google

2. Hejtować
3. Lajkować
4. Mejlować
5. Tagować
6. Szerować
7. Serczować

No idea. It might be easier if you rendered the questions in phonetic symbols, since we do not know the conventions of Polish orthography.

8. Komentować

To comment
9. Aktywizować

10. Aprowidować

To approve?

11. Bukować
12. Esemesować
13. Drenować
14. Dryblować

To blow dry?

15. Miksować
16. Obrandować
17. Pilingować

To pile on?

18. Relaksować

To relax

19. Skanować
20. Serwować
21. Splisować
22. Sprejować
23. Trenować
24. Trymować
25. Zaczekować

THANK YOU!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here is a more adventurous version, based on guesses about Polish spelling.
Hello from Poland!!

Here is the list
1. Googlować

to google

2. Hejtować

to hate

3. Lajkować

to like

4. Mejlować

to mail

5. Tagować
6. Szerczować

to search

7. Sercować
8. Komentować

to comment

9. Aktywizować
10. Aprowidować

to approve

11. Bukować
12. Esemesować
13. Drenować
14. Dryblować

to blow dry?

15. Miksować

to mix

16. Obrandować
17. Pilingować
18. Relaksować

to relax

19. Skanować

to scan

20. Serwować

to serve

21. Splisować

to splice?

22. Sprejować

to spray

23. Trenować

to train?

24. Trymować

to trim?

25. Zaczekować

I’d be very grateful if you answered the question. I’d be even more grateful if you posted it further so that more speakers of English could do the same for me. Please do not consult any Polish speakers :) It will not make any sense then.
THANK YOU!

Anka123123

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Thank you very much

The idea is NOT to give phonetic transcription or any tips connected with Polish pronunciation or alphabrt. If I did so, the answers would not help me at all. I want to check how much the changes in the graphic form of the borrowed stems influence native speakers' ability to recognise the words. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To be honest, most are pretty unrecognisable. My answers would be similar to the ones from Probus, though pronunciation could affect this if listening. However, if I had seen the list without being asked the question, Google and dry blow are the only ones that would have stood out- the others require a bit of thought.

Anka123123

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
To be honest, most are pretty unrecognisable. My answers would be similar to the ones from Probus, though pronunciation could affect this if listening. However, if I had seen the list without being asked the question, Google and dry blow are the only ones that would have stood out- the others require a bit of thought.

thank you, remember, however, that the OWAĆ is NOT a borrowed part, so it cannot belong to 'blow' dryblować is not "to blow dry", as one may assume

I will not give you an answer now :) because I hope to get some more answers

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
14. Looks like 'dribble' to me.