My friend who's standing by me has her suitcase in the trunk and I ask her: Should

• Thread starter B45
  • Start date
  • Views : 3,009
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

My friend who's standing by me has her suitcase in the trunk and I ask her:

Should I take/grab that?

Are both useable?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd say, "Can I take that for you?" I wouldn't use 'grab', but others might.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I find "Should" quite unnatural there. I would say "Shall I get that?" or "Do you want me to get that?" Having said that, I can't quite understand why she's not getting her own case out of the boot (trunk) of the car.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yeah, probably. Sigh.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is my first time to hear that " Should I grab that?"
I think it is impolite.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not impolite. It's a colloquialism.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because her suitcase is very big and heavy and I'm a guy, so I feel like I should carry it for her.

Bear in mind that these days, many women will feel insulted/offended if a man assumes she can't carry her own suitcase. She packed it. She made it heavy. If she can't carry it, she shouldn't have brought it!

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Aren't there still women who would feel insulted/offended if a man doesn't even offer to help?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Probably. I know more capable, independent women though.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Aren't there still women who would feel insulted/offended if a man doesn't even offer to help?
Yes, therein lies a dilemma for modern man. Naturally it applies to far more things than carrying suitcases.
In any case [sic], there might be two cases and the woman has already picked up one. You could make the same offer to another man, or a handicapped person - though the latter could cause similar offense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's where the offense/insult usually arises. I have no problem with a man holding a door open for me as long as I know for certain that he also holds doors open for other men, children, elderly people, disabled people etc. I would also be happy to know that that man would be perfectly happy to open a door that I hold open for him too.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have no problem with a man holding a door open for me as long as I know for certain that he also holds doors open for other men, children, elderly people, disabled people etc.
But do you see the incredible pressure this puts on a man? Before he opens a door for you, he must know whether you know whether he does it for others as well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Honestly, I don't really care about that pressure. It's based on an outdated idea of chivalry. As far as I'm concerned, we should all assume that everyone else is capable of opening doors, carrying luggage etc. I am constantly staggered by how many men still look surprised/embarrassed when a woman holds a door open for them. That's the part I really don't get.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Well, I wasn't asking whether you care or not - that's entirely your choice. I was asking about whether you could understand the absurdity of the proposition you put in #13.

PS: Actually, I can see that it wasn't a general proposition; it was just how one person reacts. I still can't imagine how it could be put into practice. For me, I tend to stay away from doors when women are present. :)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't find my proposition absurd even though I can understand what you mean. I hope, one day, I can be confident in the knowledge that everyone, regardless of sex, just tries to help other people (whether it's doors or luggage or anything else), regardless of sex.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was taught to be polite to everyone. I hold doors open for just about anybody. I help the elderly of either gender to cross the street if they appear to need help. But I have only been criticized for this behavior by middle-aged women. In my opinion, that is a sign of insecurity and that is their problem, not mine,

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I was taught to be polite to everyone. I hold doors open for just about anybody. I help the elderly of either gender to cross the street if they appear to need help.

Me, too.:-D:up:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Offended? No. Grateful? Sure. Travel is fatiguing. Feel free to take my suitcase. But I won't be offended if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.