Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2014
    • Posts: 25
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Smile what does "to be leaving it off" mean?

    Hello Dear Teachers, and Friends
    I have a question, but i don't know what does it mean exactly?
    I read a book about creating Template in joomla, I faced with this sentence: "The xml prolog isn't essential anyway, we'll be taking note of future releases of Joomla and be leaving it off."

    what does it mean exactly?
    I found leave off (sth/sb) in Dictionary, but "it" put between leave and off.
    I have many other questions, but this is my first question?
    off in this sentence is adj, preposition or noun or leaving (sth) off is a phrasal verb?
    please help me.
    Thank you very much.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 252
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: what does "to be leaving it off" mean?

    NOT A TEACHER
    'Off' is an adverb or, more correctly, an adverbial particle.
    Phrasal verb = verb + adverbial particle
    You always have to put a pronoun (like 'it', 'him', etc.) between the verb and its adverbial particle. In other words, you say 'leave it off' but not 'leave off it'.
    If it is a noun, you can put it inside or outside the phrasal verb, e.g. 'leave off the xml prolog' or 'leave the xml prolog off'.
    Hope it helps.
    Please notify me of any mistakes in my posts. It is much appreciated.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2014
    • Posts: 25
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Thumbs up Re: what does "to be leaving it off" mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by khanhhung2512 View Post
    NOT A TEACHER
    'Off' is an adverb or, more correctly, an adverbial particle.
    Phrasal verb = verb + adverbial particle
    You always have to put a pronoun (like 'it', 'him', etc.) between the verb and its adverbial particle. In other words, you say 'leave it off' but not 'leave off it'.
    If it is a noun, you can put it inside or outside the phrasal verb, e.g. 'leave off the xml prolog' or 'leave the xml prolog off'.
    Hope it helps.
    Thank you very much my dear friend.
    it helps me.
    Thank you very much.

  1. Roman55's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,067
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: what does "to be leaving it off" mean?

    I am not a teacher.

    It appears to be saying that since 'The xml prolog isn't essential...' it will not be included in future releases.

    If that's the case I think leaving it out would be another way of saying it.

    To leave off is a phrasal verb meaning to stop doing something. To leave it off has the literal meaning of leaving the offending xml prolog off the Joomla template, where it is causing more harm than good according to many users.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2014
    • Posts: 25
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: what does "to be leaving it off" mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roman55 View Post
    I am not a teacher.

    It appears to be saying that since 'The xml prolog isn't essential...' it will not be included in future releases.

    If that's the case I think leaving it out would be another way of saying it.

    To leave off is a phrasal verb meaning to stop doing something. To leave it off has the literal meaning of leaving the offending xml prolog off the Joomla template, where it is causing more harm than good according to many users.
    you said leaving the offending xml prolog off the Joomla template, what does "off" mean in your sentence? if it is literal meaning what does off mean in this sentence?
    I confuse.
    Please analyze your sentence.
    Thank you very much my dear friend.

  2. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 6,490
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: what does "to be leaving it off" mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roman55 View Post
    leaving the offending xml prolog off the Joomla template
    I take it to mean 'excluding the offending xml prolog from the Joomla template'.

    Not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 252
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: what does "to be leaving it off" mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by johncorter View Post
    you said leaving the offending xml prolog off the Joomla template, what does "off" mean in your sentence? if it is literal meaning what does off mean in this sentence?
    I confuse.
    Please analyze your sentence.
    Thank you very much my dear friend.
    leave somebody/something off (something) to not include something such as someone’s name in a list or other document
    Please notify me of any mistakes in my posts. It is much appreciated.

  3. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 6,490
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: what does "to be leaving it off" mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by khanhhung2512 View Post
    leave somebody/something off (something) to not include something such as someone’s name in a list or other document
    Rover_KE may ask you to provide the source http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/leave_1 Scroll down to 'leave off ..phrasal verb'.

    Not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Sep 2014
    • Posts: 25
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Post Re: what does "to be leaving it off" mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    I take it to mean 'excluding the offending xml prolog from the Joomla template'.

    Not a teacher.
    I agree with you. I got it. it is correct. It mean "excluding the offending xml prolog from the Joomla template'.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,261
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: what does "to be leaving it off" mean?

    I'm pretty sure XML should be capitalised.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2012, 05:23
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2012, 20:53
  3. make and do: leaving out "the"
    By lisa l lara in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Feb-2010, 05:17
  4. How about leaving "ever" out ?
    By velimir in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2007, 22:27
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 20:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •