Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the proper pronunciation of the word "a" in the middle of a sentence?

As in "that is a cat", or "do you want a pen?".

Today, my kids' preschool teacher told me that my kid and I are saying it wrong, and she actually used the word "wrong".

According to the teacher, the proper pronunciation is "that is UH cat", and "do you want UH pen?"

I tried to explain that as far as I know, the difference is a dialect issue. Just like someone from Boston who says they drive a "cah" (car) or shop at a "maht" (mart).

It is my hope that someone will corroborate what I'm saying and find documentation that I can print and bring in to the teacher.

Or, of course, confirm what the teacher said and correct me :)

Thanks to all!

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
What is the proper pronunciation of the word "a" in the middle of a sentence?

As in "that is a cat", or "do you want a pen?".

Today, my kids' preschool teacher told me that my kid and I are saying it wrong, and she actually used the word "wrong".

According to the teacher, the proper pronunciation is "that is UH cat", and "do you want UH pen?"
Hello, paulb104.:-D
May I ask how you read/pronounce those sentences?

paulb104

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, paulb104.:-D
May I ask how you read/pronounce those sentences?
In those two sentences, I pronounce the word "a" like the letter "a", as in "ay".

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In those two sentences, I pronounce the word "a" like the letter "a", as in "ay".
Hello again, paulb104.:)
I don't think your pronunciation is 'wrong'. It's just that you are using the strong form of the word. I guess the preschool teacher was trying to tell you that the form/pronunciation you were using was not suitable then - the strong form should be used in the right context.

I've found this:
http://jakubmarian.com/stressed-and-unstressed-the-and-a-in-english-the-strong-form/
I hope my response will be of some help to you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Most of the time, the unstressed ("uh") pronunciation would be used. The stressed ("ay") form is correct when there is a need to emphasise it in some way. Where are you from in the States, and do most other speakers say "ay" most of the time?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've heard this and can confirm that some native speakers of AmE do tend to prefer "ay" over "uh" where others would not, but I don't know what the geographical or ethnic prevalence of this usage is.

Status
Not open for further replies.