Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Grammar, have brought and brought.Past perfect and past simple

What's the difference between two words? tense?

Many thanks!

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
NOT A TEACHER
'Have brought' is 'present perfect', not 'past perfect'.
As for the difference between 'present perfect' and 'past simple', I suggest you consult a grammar book such as "Understanding and Using English Grammar".

Last edited by a moderator:

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you both!

But,I don't understand what the meaning of between two words after reading the grammar books.

Can you both help me?

present perfect = completed yet!
past simple = It is done in the past, and finished!
what's wrong?

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Polyester, clicking on the 'Thank' button can obviate the need for a new post saying 'Thank you', such is one of the many unwritten rules on this forum.

Not a teacher.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you both!

But,I don't understand what the meaning of between two words after reading the grammar books.

Can you both help me?

present perfect = completed yet!
past simple = It is done in the past, and finished!
what's wrong?
The main difference is their focus.
past simple = finished
present perfect = finished but have present consequences
For example:
I have lost my key. (I lost my key yesterday, and I don't have the key now.)
I lost my key. (I lost my key yesterday. There's no mention for the present if I have the key right now or not. I may have the key right now. Or I may not)
Actually, the situation is very broad. You have to learn it gradually, little by little.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Sometimes, the difference between the two tenses can be quite vague, especially in American English.
For instance, when you say "I've brought an umbrella," or "I brought an umbrella," the difference is the present perfect focuses your attention more to the present. Sometimes, particularly in American English, you can use either with almost the same meaning.
NOT A TEACHER

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
... "I've brought an umbrella," or "I brought an umbrella," ... almost the same meaning.
'I've brought an umbrella' refers to today, but 'I brought an umbrella' may refer to yesterday. They are not the same. Am I wrong?

Not a teacher.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
'I've brought an umbrella' refers to today, but 'I brought an umbrella' may refer to yesterday. They are not the same. Am I wrong?

Not a teacher.
NOT A TEACHER
Before going to school, you brought an umbrella along. You're at school and have the umbrella at the moment. You can say either "I brought an umbrella," or "I've brought an umbrella," in my opinion. The difference is the present perfect brings more attention to the present and the action's effect. For instance, if it's raining, you'd probably like to say "I've brought an umbrella," because "I brought an umbrella," may also, but not necessarily, mean "I brought an umbrella. But I accidentally dropped it on the way to school."
That's my thought. Not sure what natives think since American and British English diverge somewhat at this point.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
NOT A TEACHER
Before going to school, you brought an umbrella along. You're at school and have the umbrella at the moment. You can say either "I brought an umbrella," or "I've brought an umbrella," in my opinion. The difference is the present perfect brings more attention to the present and the action's effect. For instance, if it's raining, you'd probably like to say "I've brought an umbrella," because "I brought an umbrella," may also, but not necessarily, mean "I brought an umbrella. But I accidentally dropped it on the way to school."
That's my thought. Not sure what natives think since American and British English diverge somewhat at this point.

If i said that "I have brought an umbrella today." Is it correct?
If i also said that again"I brought an umbrella three days ago." Is it correct?

[strike]I'm a beginner in English. I'm poor at English.[/strike]

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Polyester, please don't end your posts with strange things like "I'm a beginner at English" etc. If you wish to create a signature line, you can do so by editing your profile.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
If i said that "I have brought an umbrella today." Is it correct?
If i also said that again"I brought an umbrella three days ago." Is it correct?
[strike]I'm a beginner in English. I'm poor at English.[/strike]
Both are correct, but, grammatically, I should always be capitalized. However, I've seen some natives don't capitalize it on Facebook.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Polyester, please don't end your posts with strange things like "I'm a beginner at English" etc. If you wish to create a signature line, you can do so by editing your profile.

Something like that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a beginner in English. I'm poor at English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Much better.

Back to the question! "I've brought an umbrella three days ago" is incorrect. We usually use the past simple to state a fact with a timeline/timescale and the past perfect if we don't want to involve a timescale.

I've brought an umbrella.
I brought an umbrella three days ago.

Before we continue with this, can I check that you are not confusing "brought" with "bought".

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Much better.

Back to the question! "I've brought an umbrella three days ago" is incorrect. We usually use the past simple to state a fact with a timeline/timescale and the past perfect if we don't want to involve a timescale.

Before we continue with this, can I check that you are not confusing "brought" with "bought".
But he/she didn't say ""I've brought an umbrella three days ago," did he/she?

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Much better.

Brought=bring
bought=buy

Are both of them correct?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a beginner in English. I'm poor at English.

Status
Not open for further replies.