I just realized how bad my English is still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I just realized how bad my English still is.

Hello, everyone.
What's your opinion about my title sentence? I mean the structure, grammar, word choices, etc. of the sentence, not its literal meaning. Does it sound good? What can I do to make that sentence sound better?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most BrE speakers will say "I have just realised how bad my English still is".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Longman is right grammatically. However, very few BrE speakers speak perfect grammatical English. You will hear "... my English still is" more often than you will hear "... my English is still". It's partly the word order to blame. Most of us would say "My English is still bad", not "My English is bad still" but the construction you used will lead frequently to ... how bad my English still is".

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hey guys!
You opened too many posts here. You have got too many question and want to request the answer.
I give you advice.Try to in sum of the question in a post that you want to know the answer.
For example, like this post.

Many thanks!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm a beginner in English. I'm poor at English.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hey guys!
You opened too many posts here. You have got too many question and want to request the answer.
I give you advice.Try to in sum of the question in a post that you want to know the answer.
Many thanks!
I can do that, but it's not advisable in this forum.
Imagine each question might require at least 2 to 3, sometimes even more than 10, comments. Summing up the questions only makes the topic become a mess.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In this case, as in many recently, Longman's is only partly right. It gives rules that work most of the time. I don't know what it is about Longman's - perhaps they try too hard to make rules, but don't think of the exceptions. One exception appears to be when 'to be' is the last word of the sentence. Another is when 'to be' is stressed:
Person A: "He used to be the smartest person in the class."
Person B: "He still is the smartest person in the class."
At least this is standard in AusE.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hey guys!

Many thanks!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm a beginner in English. I'm poor at English.

If you are trying to encourage the OP to put several questions in one post, please don't do that. We make it very clear that users should post one question per post. Having said that, we also encourage people not to post question after question after question. If the questions of one OP fill up the entire first page of the "Ask A Teacher" forum, that's too many posts.

I have realised that your signature line is not a proper signature line. You have simply added a line manually and typed some words underneath it. As I said before, please go to "Edit Profile" and then create a signature. If you can't do that, then please just stop typing the line about being a beginner.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If you are trying to encourage the OP to put several questions in one post, please don't do that. We make it very clear that users should post one question per post. Having said that, we also encourage people not to post question after question after question. If the questions of one OP fill up the entire first page of the "Ask A Teacher" forum, that's too many posts.

I have realised that your signature line is not a proper signature line. You have simply added a line manually and typed some words underneath it. As I said before, please go to "Edit Profile" and then create a signature. If you can't do that, then please just stop typing the line about being a beginner.

OK!
I don't use it.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can 'is still' be replaced with 'remains' in this context?

Not a teacher.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, you could use 'remains'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, but it sounds very formal.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Yes, you could use 'remains'.
Does that mean I can say "I've just realized how bad my English remains," instead of "... how bad my English still is?"
And "My English remains bad," sounds correct but a bit formal?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It sounds very formal. I wouldn't use it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does that mean I can say "I've just realized how bad my English remains," instead of "... how bad my English still is?"
And "My English remains bad," sounds correct but a bit formal?

Once you have found something that works you should stick with it. "My English remains bad" is not something I can imagine anybody saying. "I just realized how bad my English still is" is perfectly good and perfectly understandable. (Keep in mind that there are differences between BrE and AmE.)

:)

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"My English remains bad" is not something I can imagine anybody saying.
If someone said 'My English remains bad', s/he would probably not be a native speaker. If the speaker is not a native, will it be possible that s/he would say something understandable but unimaginable to you?

Not a teacher.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Actually, when I first heard the sentence: "I've just realized how bad my English remains," I had a feeling that 'bad' was being used informally as an adverb meaning 'badly', or 'to a great or serious degree'. Does any native speaker here feel the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.