Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I extracted these sentences from other's blog and then rewrote them as written. Is the wording natural English?

The K-dramas are downright addictive. What are some of the reasons that make Korean soap operas are a big hit in Taiwan and many other parts of the world? What makes K-dramas successful? Korean soap operas are often romantic dramas or comedies with attractive stars, highly competent writing, and a definite plot that usually ends within a maximum of 200 episodes. The K-drama’s universal appeal is itself one of the most unique qualities about the Korean soap operas which have won it an international fan base.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The only thing wrong with your post is the first sentence.

You should say '...from somebody's blog' or preferably '...from Noh Weh Hozay's blog.' (Credit the author.)

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What are some of the reasons that make Korean soap operas are a big hit in Taiwan and many other parts of the world?
I think 'are' should be omitted, am I wrong?

Not a teacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Either omit it or write 'What are some of the reasons why Korean soap operas are a big hit in Taiwan and many other parts of the world?', or 'What are some of the reasons for Korean soap operas being a big hit in Taiwan and many other parts of the world?', or something like that.

b

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ashiuhto:

I never nitpick (mention unimportant little "mistakes"), but I thought that the following personal thoughts might interest you:

1. I do not feel comfortable starting your paragraph with "the." I would have simply written: "Korean dramas are downright addictive."

2. I do feel, however, that the "the" in your last sentence is very appropriate.

3. One little point that may interest you. A few (very few) people in 2014 still feel that words like "unique" cannot be compared. So they object to "more" or "most" unique. They remind us that "unique" means "one of a kind." So I guess that those super strict people would prefer something like:

"Korean soap operas are unique [the only one] in their universal appeal, winning an international fan base."

James

Status
Not open for further replies.