• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Susanna Wesley's quote

“Whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, takes off your relish for spiritual things, whatever increases the authority of the body over the mind, that thing is sin to you, however innocent it may seem in itself.”

---by ― Susanna Wesley

Hi, could you please intrepret or rephrase the words of S.W. I highlihgted in red? I cannot understand, though I think I knew each word of them.

I guess it means it is a sin to focus too much on material or body, but people can find innocence in themselives. Right?

Thank you!

P.S. Is S. W. a household name in English speaking countries if you know?
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 07-Sep-2014 at 13:00.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Susanna Wesley's quote

I think it means that anything which makes you listen to your body more than you listen to your mind should be considered a sin. Something like chocolate might be innocent enough but if you become addicted to chocolate, you will crave chocolate with your body and you will stop listening to your mind (which is probably trying to say "Stop eating so much chocolate"!) The idea is that in order to hear and recognise god/God, your mind must be in control, not your body.

I've never heard of Susanna Wesley. Note that you can't ask "Is S.W. a household name ...?" That doesn't make any sense because S.W. is not a name. You needed to name her specifically.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.