Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Difference between the words, 'Oxymoron', 'paradox', 'contradiction' and 'misnomer'

What is the difference between the words, 'Oxymoron', 'paradox', 'contradiction' and 'misnomer'?
    Eg.'Benevolent dictator' is an oxymoron. If I replace the word with 'misnomer' 'paradox' or 'contradiction' how will the meaning change? I found the following definitions on the internet :

1. Paradox:

A seemingly absurd or contradictory statement or proposition which when investigated may prove to be well founded or true.

"the uncertainty principle leads to all sorts of paradoxes, like the particles being in two places at once".

2. Misnomer

A wrong or inaccurate name or designation.
    "‘King crab’ is a misnomer—these creatures are not crustaceans at all"
    A wrong or inaccurate use of a name or term.
    "To call this ‘neighbourhood policing’ would be a misnomer"

3. Oxymoron

A figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true).

4. Contradiction

Combination of statements, ideas, or features which are opposed to one another.
    "The proposed new system suffers from a set of internal contradictions"
    o A situation in which inconsistent elements are present.
    "The paradox of using force to overcome force is a real contradiction"
    o The statement of a position opposite to one already made.
    "The second sentence appears to be in flat contradiction of the first"

Corrections in my question are welcome, but please use your precious time, energy and intellect in answering the question asked rather than starting a discussion on the way it was asked.
    Last edited by fatimah0786; 07-Sep-2014 at 13:31.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Difference between the words, 'Oxymoron', 'paradox', 'contradiction' and 'misnome

Have you looked up each word in a dictionary? If so, please tell us which dictionary and give the definitions you found. Then tell us how you think they cross over.

As far as your signature line goes, there is no point asking us not to correct errors in how people construct their sentences. This is what we do. We will correct any and every error we find. You will get answers alongside corrections. It will all help you to improve.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Difference between the words, 'Oxymoron', 'paradox', 'contradiction' and 'misnome

Sir, I am not against people correcting my post. It's just that I previously posted a thread and hardly three out of nineteen replies were related to the question and no one answered the question properly. Later the post was closed because of that by the moderators I was not being mean or impolite here .
    I took the definitions from here: google.co.i/#q=paradox+meaning, google.co.in/#q=misnomer+meaning, google.co.in/#q=contradiction+meaning, google.co.in/#q=oxymoron+meaning

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Please don't refer to users here as "Sir". For a start, it's overly formal and in addition, it excludes all the female members (like me).

Thank you for adding those definitions. Now that you have written them out, can you see the huge difference between, for example, "paradox" and "misnomer"?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I am sorry for that. I actually wanted to re-edit that part to 'sir/madam', but since you have said that it sounds too formal I would refrain from doing so.

"Paradox" and "misnomer" do have different meaning, but I was in doubt whether 'paradox', 'contradiction' and 'oxymoron' mean the same and whether we can use them interchangeably?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

An oxymoron is a phrase where the words clash logically not a statement or proposition, so it's not the same as a paradox. They're in similar areas of meaning, but not interchangeable. Deafening silence is a phrase used that is an oxymoron- silence shouldn't logically be deafening, but sometimes a silence can have a great impact if noise was expected.
    Last edited by Tdol; 07-Sep-2014 at 16:18.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Does that mean oxymoron is a phrase while paradox is a statement?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

<<<"‘King crab’ is a misnomer—these creatures are not crustaceans at all">>>

I don't know where that sentence came from, but they are crustaceans. They are different from other species of crabs, but are still considered to be crabs.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

The definition is there on the 'oxford dictionaries': http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/misnomer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

As far as I know, that is an error. So that would be a MIStaken MISnomer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast