He was so considerate when she lost the baby .... told her would have been a son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

He was so considerate when she lost the baby a year later, overlooking that she had failed to give him what the nurse reluctantly told her would have been a son.

Does the sentence mean "He was so considerate when she lost the baby a year later that he overlooked the fact that she had failed to give him what the nurse reluctantly told her would have been a son"? (a result sentence: so considerate when she lost the baby a year later that he overlooked the fact

Did the boy die after being born or was he not born at all and why "would have been" structure is used?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If a woman "loses a baby" it usually means that she suffered a miscarriage. This, in this piece, is confirmed by the fact that it was "she had failed to give him" and "what ... would have been a son". This child was not born alive. Had the baby been born alive, it would have been a son for the couple.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
NOT A TEACHER
Is my following analysis correct?
The nurse reluctantly told her it would have been a son. => what the nurse reluctantly told her would have been a son = it
=> S
he had failed to give him it. Here, it means the baby she had miscarried.
By the way, will the original sentence sound better if I replace 'so' by 'very'?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"He was so considerate when she lost the baby a year later that he overlooked the fact that she had failed to give him what the nurse reluctantly told her would have been a son"
Where did you find this?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

By the way, will the original sentence sound better if I replace 'so' by 'very'?

No. The sentence uses the construction "so ... that ...".

He was so angry that his face went red.
I was so sad that I cried for three weeks non-stop.
He was so considerate ... that he overlooked the fact ...

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
No. The sentence uses the construction "so ... that ...".
He was so considerate ... that he overlooked the fact ...
NOT A TEACHER
But it doesn't. The original sentence is: "He was so considerate when she lost the baby a year later, overlooking that she had failed to give him what the nurse reluctantly told her would have been a son."
I don't think it's a
"so ... that ..." construction.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence assumes that he had a right to be angry that she failed to carry their son to term.
He "overlooks" this failure. That is what makes him considerate.

bf000777966

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
so

so what is the nurse actually tell her?

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Re: so

So what did the nurse actually tell her?
NOT A TEACHER
From what I understand, after miscarrying the baby, the mother asked the nurse, and the nurse answered, reluctantly, that if the child had been successfully delivered, it would have been a boy.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

In my opinion, "He was so considerate when she lost the baby a year later, overlooking that she had failed to give him what the nurse reluctantly told her would have been a son" means "He was so considerate when she lost the baby a year later that he overlooked (the fact) that she had failed to give him what the nurse reluctantly told her would have been a son" or "He was so considerate when she lost the baby a year later and (he) overlooked (the fact) that she had failed to give him what the nurse reluctantly told her would have been a son".

The overlooking is the activity that he did and applies to the husband. If "the so ... that" structure didn't apply, why use "so" at all?

What do you think?

I may be wrong.

Thank you.

Last edited:

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

The overlooking is the activity that he did and applies to the husband. If "the so ... that" structure didn't apply, why use "so" at all?
NOT A TEACHER
"So" can be used alone. For instance, "You're so nice," is a complete sentence. I just wonder if replacing "so" by "very" would make the sentence sound more academic.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Please ask more competent people.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Both "You're so nice" and "You're very nice" are correct. Nothing about either one strikes me as particularly "academic".

Status
Not open for further replies.