Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi, I live in a country where we don't address teachers by their names but we say "Mr(s). teacher". So it is quite odd for students of English as second language to address a teacher using his/her name. So, when they have an English lesson, what is a polite form for a 12-18 year-old student to address a teacher? Does "Sorry teacher, I have forgot my textbook" sound polite to native English speakers? If not, what would be a polite alternative without using a name? Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could say sir to a man and ma'am (pronounced 'mam' to a woman).

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
You could say sir to a man and ma'am (pronounced 'mam' to a woman).
I have often heard 'ma'am' used. Is 'madam' used instead of 'ma'am'?
Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Miss" can be used with a young lady.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I've become accustomed to being addressed as Teacher and find it acceptable. About half of my students use this form of address, while the other half use my first name. (Brazil is a very informal country and we frequently don't know even our doctors' family names.)

Enchanter

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks. Is "Mr. teacher" possible/correct/natural?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And also to flatter an older lady.;-)
Though not too old as to imply that she's been "left on the shelf". I know that's sexist, but I wouldn't use 'Miss' to flatter an old lady ... not that I'm saying she's old, er ... I don't think there's a way out of this.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is "Mr. teacher" possible/correct/natural?

It's possible but not natural.

If you called a teacher that and he didn't like it, he'd just say 'Call me "sir" or "Mr Surname"'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've become accustomed to being addressed as Teacher and find it acceptable.

I found it strange at first, but you do get used to it.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Enchanter:

I have noticed that here in the United States, some women are offended if you address them as ma'am.

Some women feel that the term should apply only to "older" women.

That could also apply to sir.

Many years ago, I saw a young man in his twenties become very angry on a bus because the driver had addressed him as sir. The twentysomething yelled, "I'm not old!"

When it comes to age, people are very touchy (sensitive).

James

P.S. I am proudly 77 years old (in my 78th year).

Enchanter

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

Hello, Enchanter:

I have noticed that here in the United States, some women are offended if you address them as ma'am.

Some women feel that the term should apply only to "older" women.

That could also apply to sir.

Many years ago, I saw a young man in his twenties become very angry on a bus because the driver had addressed him as sir. The twentysomething yelled, "I'm not old!"

When it comes to age, people are very touchy (sensitive).

James

P.S. I am proudly 77 years old (in my 78th year).
Hello,
thanks for that info! What would be the alternatives for young people? Instead of "Sir" what should the driver have said to the young man? And what about age-neutral alternative to "ma'am"? Thanks!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,
thanks for that info! What would be the alternatives for young people? Instead of "Sir" what should the driver have said to the young man? And what about age-neutral alternative to "ma'am"? Thanks!

There really isn't any. "Sir" and "ma'am" are the polite addresses. You could call a young lady a "miss," then again some may take offense at that as "sexist."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In English, it is possible to avoid the issue as everybody is you. Many BrE speakers do not use forms like Sir and Ma'am without being considered rude. I use use Sir and Madam​ when talking to strangers, but that is not particularly common. I would not use Miss- that is only heard in schools in the UK as far as I know.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does "Sorry teacher, I have forgot my textbook" sound polite to native English speakers?

1. In American secondary schools, some students would say "Sorry, sir / ma'am" or possibly "Sorry, Mr. / Miss / Mrs. Jones." In most cases, they would probably NOT use any title: "Sorry, I forgot my book."

2. If a student were to address a teacher as "Teacher" in an American classroom, the American students would immediately snicker (a disrespectful little laugh) and identify the student as a foreigner. (In ESL classes, almost all beginning students use the term "Teacher." By the time that they become intermediate students, they realize that such a term is not used in American classrooms. By that time, they have already become "Americanized" and are no longer so docile and respectful!)

3. If you do not wish to use "teacher" or "sir / ma'am" or the teacher's surname (last name), maybe one "solution" is to simply expand the sentence.

a. Instead of "Sorry, I have forgot(ten) my textbook," you could expand it to:

"I am very sorry, but I have forgot(ten) my textbook today." (Longer sentences usually (not always) sound more courteous and respectful than short sentences: No. / No, I won't. / No, I won't be able to attend your party on Saturday. / I am very sorry, but I won't be able to attend your party on Saturday.)

In regard to that bus driver:

1. If he was answering a yes / no question, I cannot think of an alternative to "sir."

2. If he was asking a question or giving instructions, he could have used the term "young man":

a. "Excuse me, young man, would you mind helping that elderly gentleman get off the bus?"

James

Enchanter

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks for all the useful information!

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Enchanter, clicking on the 'Thank' button can obviate the need for a new post saying 'Thanks', such is one of the many unwritten rules on this forum.

Not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.