• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Travis Bickle

1. Stand on the left of an escalator
    It’s funny that something so innocuous can arouse the inner Travis Bickle in even the most placid Londoner. But that’s just how it is: we like one side of an escalator kept free for us to walk up and down and heaven help anyone who gets in our way. Try flouting the rules if you must, but expect to be deafened by the sound of tutting.
    Q1: Could you possibly tell me what "Travis Bickle" represents for. I've read the introduction about him from Wikipedia. I couldn't say he was bad. I have no any idea about what image Westerners hold about him. I think he was a victim.

Q2: What does "heaven helpl anyone who gets in our way" mean? Does it mean the author prayered to the God about not let people in his way?

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Travis Bickle

1. The character is a vigilante. He becomes increasingly more insane and violent. He certainly isn't a victim.

The point here is that you would not want to get into a confrontation with someone like that.

2. The verb is "prayed," not "prayered."

It means that God ("Heaven") will have to help the person who gets in my way. Because I won't help him, I will be going all Travis Bickel on the person.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank you very much for your help again. I thought he was a victim of the society which caused him insane, paranoid, etc.

The introduction about him looks interesting.

If the fellow passengers don't want to confront, why did the author say "be deafened by the sound of tutting"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If society created Travis Bickels, then there would be a lot more of them. But that is a discussion not really about English.

Tutting at someone is not really super confrontational. In that type of situation, I would give a loud and annoyed "excuse me" to someone blocking the "walking side" of a moving sidewalk.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Because I won't help him, I will be going all Travis Bickel on the person.
    A- Do you mean you would not tolerate the person? How would Travis Bickel would do?

B-The film was shot in 1976. Do you think teenagers or people in their 20s or 30s would know who is Travis Bickel as they probably cannot see the film.

C- Do you think you would use "Travis Bickel" if you talk to a native speaker outside of the US?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

not a teacher

A: To put it simply, in the film the character Travis Bickle violently attacks various people because he disapproves of certain behaviour in the city. Your quote is suggesting that, in a much less violent way, Londoners readily show their strong disapproval of annoying behaviour, even if it's just by tut-tutting loudly at someone who is standing on the wrong side of the escalator.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...nglish/tut-tut
    B: This is still an internationally popular film, by a celebrated director and featuring several famous actors. I think that many people who have an average interest in films would know who Travis Bickle was, especially if a little extra information was given, e.g. "Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver". However, I wouldn't always assume the reference was clear, depending on who I was speaking to.
    C: I think that (B) would apply widely outside of the US too.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I think that many people who have an average interest in films would know who Travis Bickle was, especially if a little extra information was given, e.g. "Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver".
    Exactly. I didn't remember the name, but once I realized what movie it was from, I remembered the character.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I just polished the movie off. Now I have a clearer idea of what kind of person he was, and what the author and you guys talked about.

Thank you both very much again.