1. wotcha22

None can offer you the/a sort of training and career prospects that you will get...

"None can offer you the sort of training and career prospects that you will get from the Navy, Army, or Air Force."

The above sentence is from one of my books.

1. In this sentence, can 'the sort' be replaced by 'a sort'?

2. What is the precedent of the relative pronoun 'that' ? - the sort or training and career prospects?

3. I wonder 'the sort' is a noun phrase and 'of training and career prospects' is a adjective phrase.

4. Or, 'the sort of' is a adjective phrase and 'training and career prospects' is a noun phrase.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: None can offer you the/a sort of training and career prospects that you will get

I am not a teacher.

1. No. The sort of training means the type of training. A sort of training sounds like it's not really training but something similar.

2. I think you mean 'antecedent'. Yes, it is 'the sort or training and career prospects'.

3.4. I'll let a teacher answer these questions, but I think the two parts should not be separated and the whole is a noun phrase.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: None can offer you the/a sort of training and career prospects that you will get

I think "none" is wrong. "No one else" can offer you the sort of training...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"The sort" is a noun phrase that acts as the direct object of the verb "offer". "Of training and career prospects" is an adjectival prepositional phrase that modifies "sort". The remainder is a relative clause that modifies "training and career prospects."