• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Uruguay
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Question Collocations- are they correct or not?

Hello!
    I'm a student preparing to take an advanced level examination and I have some doubts about some corrections that have been made to my writings so I thought of asking them here.
    Hereunder the corrections themselves, are they correct? :

1) You'll find various places to eat. -> several
    2) I wouldn't label it as 'basic' (i)just as I wouldn't either consider it (ii)overly expensive -> (i)rephrased, (ii) overpriced
    3) There were many others just steps from the hotel -> only a few
    4)(...)thus averting the massive firings that occur when(...) -> dismissals ).
    5)I believe that joblessness can be(...) -> unemployment ( Again:I chose 'joblessness' because unemployment was, in my opinion, mentioned too much throughout the article )
    6) (...) which has certainly helped me better my fluency. -> improve ( Again: I chose 'better' because improve was, in my opinion, mentioned too much throughout the article.)

I would really appreciate your point of view on this matter.
    Last edited by lolipop90; 11-Sep-2014 at 17:39.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Collocations- are they correct or not?

I am not a grammarian but a listener and hearer of what people say and mean.

1) You'll find various places to eat. -> several

Rubbish. Various is broader in meaning than several. Several just means more than one. Various includes the meaning "more than one" but also indicates that the places may vary in other ways as well, e.g. price, ethnicity, whatever.

2) I wouldn't label it as 'basic' (i)just as I wouldn't either consider it (ii)overly expensive -> (i)rephrased, (ii) overpriced

This one is hard to understand given the punctuation.

3) There were many others just steps from the hotel -> only a few

Rubbish again. As a native speaker of AmE I would always say "just". "Only a few" is not wrong, but it has no claim to be better than "just". Besides that "only a few" flies in the face of "many others". Few can never be equal in meaning to many. They are opposites.

c4)(...)thus averting the massive firings that occur when(...) -> dismissals ).

To me, "firings" is more natural than "dismissals" in AmE, and vice versa in BrE.

5)I believe that joblessness can be(...) -> unemployment ( Again:I chose 'joblessness' because unemployment was, in my opinion, mentioned too much throughout the article )

No argument with your preference. In terms of connotation, joblessness is more likely to be acute, whereas unemployment may be chronic.

6) (...) which has certainly helped me better my fluency. -> improve ( Again: I chose 'better' because improve was, in my opinion, mentioned too much throughout the article.)

Again no argument with your preference. In my opinion "better" is more likely in BrE, and "improve" in AmE.
    Last edited by probus; 13-Sep-2014 at 04:58.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Collocations- are they correct or not?

Quote Originally Posted by probus View Post
    Again no argument with your preference. In my opinion "better" is more likely in BrE, and "improve" in AmE.
    Both are possible in BrE. I would imagine that improve is more common nowadays.

PS With 1), many sounds much more natural to me.