Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey there,

Is it common for employees to receive their reimbursement which is not, most often less than, the amount they paid in advance for their firm?

Thanks,

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not common in the UK to pay for a firm- they should pay us. I have never paid a penny to a firm.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does the OP mean an employee is reimbursed after paying for something acquired on behalf of his/her firm?

Not a teacher.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey there,

Is it common for employees to receive their reimbursement which is not, most often less than, the amount they paid in advance for their firm?

Thanks,

If you are incurring legitimate business expenses for the company you work for, and following their policies on expenses, then you should be reimbursed in full.

That's general advice. If you are spending your own money for the company and they don't pay you back, I would stop spending my own money for the company.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does the OP mean an employee is reimbursed after paying for something acquired on behalf of his/her firm?

Not a teacher.
Yes. And they asked to me send the receipts for reimbursement and for now I am even not able to prove how much they owed me after receiving the reimbursement which is less than the amount I paid for them.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you are incurring legitimate business expenses for the company you work for, and following their policies on expenses, then you should be reimbursed in full.

That's general advice. If you are spending your own money for the company and they don't pay you back, I would stop spending my own money for the company.
I agree. But would you ask them to pay the rest part of the money back to you; or, just keep silence and stop paying for the company in the case that this is a first job, technically, an internship? Thanks.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. And they asked to me send the receipts for reimbursement and for now I am even not able to prove how much they owed me after receiving the reimbursement which is less than the amount I paid for them.

Do you mean you sent them the receipts and did not keep a copy for yourself? That's a mistake.

There should be expense report forms that you use to claim expenses for reimbursement. You should always keep a copy of any forms you send to anyone, and copies of all receipts.

If I submitted a report and receipts showing I was owed X and I was paid something different, I would ask for the difference to be explained.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Without proof, how can you ask them to pay back?

Not a teacher.
I know, after sending them the receipts, I realized I was wrong.. Thanks though!

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean you sent them the receipts and did not keep a copy for yourself? That's a mistake.

There should be expense report forms that you use to claim expenses for reimbursement. You should always keep a copy of any forms you send to anyone, and copies of all receipts.

If I submitted a report and receipts showing I was owed X and I was paid something different, I would ask for the difference to be explained.
They asked me to fill out a certain form attached with the original receipt and send them back, the office. But did not remind me anything. Also, jsut a couple of days ago, they put a wrong name on the check with a certain amount then after receiving the second check with correct name, the amount on the check was less than previous, without any explanation until I asked them.

Also, whenever we received the paycheck there should be a sub for us, right? But they did not send anything to me. And I even had no idea how much taxes I paid. This is not normal, correct?

My question is there should be a paperwork coming with either a paycheck or adjustments, showing the reasons or details about the money we received. Correct?
Sorry about those "common sense" questions, but no one in the office or my boss told me anything about these before accepting this internship.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They asked me to fill out a certain form attached with the original receipt and send them back, the office. But did not remind me anything. Also, jsut a couple of days ago, they put a wrong name on the check with a certain amount then after receiving the second check with correct name, the amount on the check was less than previous, without any explanation until I asked them.

Also, whenever we received the paycheck there should be a sub for us, right? But they did not send anything to me. And I even had no idea how much taxes I paid. This is not normal, correct?

My question is there should be a paperwork coming with either a paycheck or adjustments, showing the reasons or details about the money we received. Correct?
Sorry about those "common sense" questions, but no one in the office or my boss told me anything about these before accepting this internship.

Thanks!

I don't know what you mean by "sub," but, yes, you should receive a statement with your pay showing what tax deductions, if any, have been paid.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know what you mean by "sub," but, yes, you should receive a statement with your pay showing what tax deductions, if any, have been paid.
They did not show me anything and just deposited the money after tax. And I had no idea when I can receive the money and how much I paid for tax. For now, I am thinking if I need to resign from this internship. Since I feel like it is not a paycheck issue, but equal treatments to their employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.