Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I am curious why there's a [j] is pronounced between "n" and "ant" in the word-poignant. Is it explainable?

Thank you!

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

It comes from the French and is the present participle of the verb poindre. It has partly retained the French pronunciation in which the combination 'gn' sounds like 'nj'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bear in mind that in English pronunciation, there is no "j" in that word. We use a hard "j" in English, like at the start of the word "jam". It is pronounced "poin-y-uh-nt". In addition, as far as I know, "poignant" is an adjective in both English and French.

I agree with Roman55 that it has only partly retained its French pronunciation, which would be "pwun-nyon" (silent "t" at the end").

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Just to be clear here, the [j] is the IPA transcription of a y sound and it is present in the English word poignant.

It is, of course, an adjective, but in French it is derived from (and still is) the present participle of the verb poindre.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know IPA so thanks for that. I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't the present participle of "poindre", simply pointing out that it's used as an adjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.