Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

It's not 'out to', it's 'running out'...'to mine shafts'.

Some of the roads go to where the mine shafts are. They go out to the mine shafts.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can omit the "out" and the meaning is more or less the same.

The roads run along the hill faces and to the mine shafts. The "out" tells you that there are likely spurs off of the main road that go to and from different mine shafts. The roads don't run along the mine shafts, or by the mine shafts. They don't go past the mine shafts. They run out to the mine shafts (and back).

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
You can omit the "out" and the meaning is more or less the same.

The roads run along the hill faces and to the mine shafts. The "out" tells you that there are likely spurs off of the main road that go to and from different mine shafts. The roads don't run along the mine shafts, or by the mine shafts. They don't go past the mine shafts. They run out to the mine shafts (and back).

Thanks.But it was so difficult for me to understand what did "run out of mine " mean?!
I get really confused and your description is too difficult to understand . that doesn't make sense to me because I am intermediate in learning English.And that would be great if you describe it in a simple way.
Thanks again.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, nininaz.:)
Could you tell us what the 'mine' means?

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello, nininaz.:)
Could you tell us what the 'mine' means?
Hello,
I knew what it means.
mine [countable]

1 a deep hole or holes in the ground that people dig so that they can remove coal, gold, tin etc

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks.But it was so difficult for me to understand what did "run out of mine " mean?!
I get really confused and your description is too difficult to understand . that doesn't make sense to me because I am intermediate in learning English.And that would be great if you describe it in a simple way.
Thanks again.

Omit the "out" completely. Does it make sense then?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ninaz, you can't understand a sentence by looking at it piece by piece. That's like the blind men describing an elephant. Every one of them comes up with something different, and they do not collectively figure out what an elephant is. The problem is that you asked the wrong question. The phrase "out to mine" means nothing at all.

Mines are dug so ore can be extracted. The cars (usually on rails) go to the mines. The ore is put in those cars. Then it is taken away to be processed. (That next step does, of course, depend on what kind of ore they are mining.) You have to understand the sentence as a whole. You can't take little pieces out of it and expect those pieces to make sense.

:)

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Ninaz, you can't understand a sentence by looking at it piece by piece. That's like the blind men describing an elephant. Every one of them comes up with something different, and they do not collectively figure out what an elephant is. The problem is that you asked the wrong question. The phrase "out to mine" means nothing at all.

Mines are dug so ore can be extracted. The cars (usually on rails) go to the mines. The ore is put in those cars. Then it is taken away to be processed. (That next step does, of course, depend on what kind of ore they are mining.) You have to understand the sentence as a whole. You can't take little pieces out of it and expect those pieces to make sense.

Thanks for your guide. But when I want to practice reading skill, first of all I read the whole text, I mean all of the paragraphs which the reading has.I read it several time even 10 , or up to 15 times, I read until I get what is the reading about. then I start read the first paragraph and the find the all of the vocabulary from the first paragraph and the second paragraph and etc. and that 's why I want to know every meaning of it, because I get the main idea of each paragraph.And I know expanding vocabulary knowledge help us to master reading skill.

Do you think this is a good way to practice reading skill for IELTS ?!

And in your example "Mines are dug so ore can be extracted. The cars (usually on rails) go to the mines. The ore is put in those cars. Then it is taken away to be processed. (That next step does, of course, depend on what kind of ore they are mining.) " ,I assume I don't know the meaning of 'ore ','go to the mines' and 'put in' , so how can I understand what is the meaning of the whole sentence?!!

Is there any way to understand the main idea of the reading and answer each question correctly without knowing the vocabularies?!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you understand if I point to a road and say "this road goes to Rome?"

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Omit the "out" completely. Does it make sense then?
I don't have problem with 'out', I just want to know what is the meaning of 'running along' and 'running out to' ?!

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Do you understand if I point to a road and say "this road goes to Rome?"
I think it means the route or path of the road is directed toward Rome.I thinks it means if I go along the road finally I can reach the Rome.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it means the route or path of the road is directed toward Rome.I thinks it means if I go along the road finally I can reach the Rome.

Yes. And I can also say "this road goes out to Rome" if I consider where I am to be "in." This road goes out to the Johnson's Farm. This road goes out to the mine.

You can also say that a road "runs" somewhere. Same idea as saying it "goes" somewhere.

Saying it runs "along" the hill faces means that the road does not go up and down the hills. It runs beside the bottom of the hills.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Is there any way to understand the main idea of the reading and answer each question correctly without knowing the vocabularies?!

I kind of already explained what mines are. They are structures that are built to make it possible for the mining company to take the ore out of the ground. (There are all kinds of mines -- gold mines, coal mines, tin mines, etc. (Silver is usually extracted as a result of mining for something else - lead, for example.)

Status
Not open for further replies.