Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone,

Following a recent job interview, I was invited to give a demo lesson. As is mostly the case, I suppose, the hiring staff are going to pose as students. The school did not give any specific instruction except that it should be between 10 and 15 minutes. By asking, I found out that competence levels of starting students range between A2 and B1 (CEFR).

The way I see it, I have two options: either to fully address a simple theme that could lend itself to being taught in 15 minutes; or to partially tackle a more complex topic. At first I was leaning toward the latter, because it would allow the committee to decide how successful I am at breaking down complexity. A much more experienced teacher than I am also advised me to take this route: ‘If I was a hiring manager, I would definitely give you extra points for not choosing something simple.’ I was thinking of doing the difference between the present perfect simple and past simple. But then I thought that such a lesson would have to assume the students are comfortable with a wider range of structures (Affirmative, interrogative and negative structures of both the PP simple and past simple; irregular verbs; WH-questions, strong and weak forms …). It would not go well if, after the lesson, each time the committee asked me why I did not address a certain point, I responded by saying I ‘assumed’ the students had already learnt it.

Now, I am considering going with the first option. I am thinking I could do some/any, gone/been, should/shouldn’t … These subjects require much less background knowledge and can fit a 15-minute time frame.

Here are my questions:

1. If you were in my place, which option would you go for?
  2. Could you suggest some additional topics?

Any general advice would also be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
absconditus

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Keep it simple. Even your simpler option sounds a bit complex. 15 minutes is not long at all. And whatever you do. don't think of talking for 15 minutes.
Good luck;')

b

absconditus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
UK
Keep it simple. Even your simpler option sounds a bit complex. 15 minutes is not long at all. And whatever you do. don't think of talking for 15 minutes.
Good luck;')

b

Thanks BobK. Deciding on a topic and finiding a solid engagement activity are the most difficult, and therefore most time-consuming parts of the lesson-planning process for me. Would you suggest some options (A2-B1)?

Sincerely,
absconditus

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think that doing something simple makes sense, You have been asked to teach a 15-minute lesson, so making a lesson that deals with something that can be covered in that time shows good classroom management IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.