[Grammar] How could i recognize use that and which or not !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliMoosavi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello .

How could i recognize use that and which or not !?

1. In German folk legened , kobald is the name of a spirit ----- in the earth .

Lived or that lived ?

2 . A throne is a chair ---- by a queen , king or other rulers .

Occupied or which occupied ?

Regards .

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Which ones do you think are correct and why?

I am not a teacher.

AliMoosavi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi . I know the answers but dont know why !!!

First is that lived and the second is occupied

AliMoosavi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you matthew but i didnt understand again :( .

My final is going to start one hour later please help me recognoize its essential for me :

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER ***** Hello, Alimoosavi: I may (may!) have found at least one explanation. 1. Kobald is the name of a spirit that / which lived in the earth. = "Good." 2. Kobald is the name of a spirit lived in the earth. = "Bad." 3. A throne is a chair that / which is occupied by a queen. = "Good." 4. A throne is a chair occupied by a queen." = "Good. "IF (If!) I understand correctly what I found, the difference is this: In sentence #1, the verb ("lived") is an active verb. Thus, you cannot delete (drop) "that / which." In sentence #2, the verb ("is occupied") is a passive verb. Thus, you may delete "that / which" + "is." NOTES: 1. If you have forgotten the difference between active and passive verbs, you may wish to check your books or the Web. 2. After the test, please let us all know how your teacher explained the difference. I VERY MUCH want to know. My source: Mesdames Celce-Murcia and Diane Larsen-Freeman, The Grammar Book / An ESL / EFL Teacher's Course (1983 edition), page 381. They give this sentence: "Which cowboy was the one who was thrown by that horse?" It can be reduced to "Which cowboy was the one thrown by the horse?" Only my sentence: "Which cowboy was the one who rode the brown horse?" Since "rode" is an active verb, one cannot delete "who."

P.S. My post has NOT been published in the format that I chose. Sorry for the bunched-up sentences. I have tried my best to separate the sentences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.