how do you feel? or how are you feeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpsh

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could you tell me what the difference between 'how are you feeling?' and 'how do you feel?'.
Actually, the original question requires students to ask a question according to the answer.

We are ( happy ).

Then my answer is 'how are you feeling?'. But the teacher said I'm wrong. Pay attention please! the 'you' here is concrete. Because the question has a solid form as ' __ ___ you ___?'.
Maybe the answer is neither 'how are you feeling' nor 'how do you feel'. So what is your answer?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't see any real difference between "How do you feel?" and "How are you feeling?". Does your teacher say there is a difference between the two?

:)

LilyCollyns

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

How are you feeling today? implies that perhaps you weren't feeling well a few days ago and the person who is asking want's to find out if you feel better now.
How do you feel could be asked when someone wants someone's opinion about something.
Example: How do you feel about the Chicago Bulls winning?

Hope this helps ;)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

In my opinion, both of the questions (How do you feel?, How are you feeling?) are perfectly appropriate for the answer that is provided (We are happy.). Unless further information is given about the context, I feel that your teacher is wrong to say that one of those questions is more correct than the other.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You start with the answer and then come up with the question?

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.