the European Union

Could you possibly have a look at theis short article and correct all the mistakes I made, please? As you can see, it's about the European Union.... And I am not just an expert on this subject, so if you see some other mistakes (connected with history, policy etc.), let me know....

THE EUROPEAN UNION

1. What makes the EU different from the other international institutions?
    The European Union (EU) is a term for integrative coalition (union) of 25 European democratic member states committed to working together for peace and prosperity. This term was introduced in 1993, after session in Maastricht, 1992, when the Maastricht Treaty was signed.
    The difference between the EU and other international institutions is the fact that the EU is not, in fact, a real “federation“. It is not a big state to replace the existing states. The EU wants its “federal“ states to keep their own national name, culture and a determinate piece of sovereignity. Although the member states of the EU have transferred, to some extent, sovereignity, the EU does not have the power to transfer powers from states onto itself without their agreements. It means that sessions are held and many treats must be signed before something radical happens.

2. What was the reason for establishing the EU?
    The main reason for establishing it was the idea of prosperity, peace, international cooperation, economical increase both of individual countries and the whole union as well. It is clear that the EU has much more renowned name and has much more political and economical power than just one single country.
    The first incentive of such a integration was after the Second World War. The first idea was to prevent such killing and destruction from happening ever again.
    On 9th May, 1950, French Foreign Minister Robert Schuman proposed (Germany) a partnership in a strategic area of coal mining and steel making and a contract (Schuman’s declaration) was signed. In 1951, first integration groupage was established: European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC).
    This day, May 9th, is now annually celebrated as Europe Day. It can be said it is a “birthday“ of the EU.

3. How has the cooperation between EU members changed over the years?
    In the early years of European integration, the cooperation between the member states was based on economical development questions. This way (shrough co-operative market and international trade) It was needed to contribute to increase employment rate, living standards and manufacture rationalisation of member states.
    There was an opinion, that economical integration was more passble than a political one, whom many governmens didn’t believe.
    Nonetheless, now the EU deals with many other subjects such as citizens’ rights, ensuring freedom, security and justice, job creation, environmental protection, education etc.

4. Name some of the achievements of the EU.
    To some extent, the EU is gradually helping to achieve its all objectives. It has helped to raise living standards, built a single Europe-wide market, launched the single European currency, the euro (it is launched in all the states of the EU except for the 10 countries that entered the EU in 2004 and except for the UK, Denmark and Sweden).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: the European Union

the other international institutions- probably better without the article as you're talking in general, not about every one of them
    for integrative coalition- article
    after session- article (check the whole thing for articles)
    their own national name- just the one?
    many treats- many what?
    a “birthday“- how many does it have?
    economical development questions- wrong adjective form
    more passble- what do you mean here?
    gradually helping to achieve- helping who? Sounds like the wrong verb

Thank you, tdol... You're always the one who usually answers questions... I just want to make sure whether I did really correct them well, so...can you have a look at the corrections below, please?

for integrative coalition- article => AN integrative ?? (or the?)
    after session- article => THE session ???

you know, I can't use articles very well...

many treats- many what? => many TREATIES... I hope it's right now...

economical development questions- wrong adjective form => and how should it be, then? The only thinks that occurs to me is "QUESTIONS ABOUT ECONOMICAL DEVELOPMENT"...

more passble- what do you mean here? => I mean PASSABLE, PRACTICABLE... Can I use it in this context?

gradually helping to achieve- helping who? Sounds like the wrong verb => is gradually achieving its all objectives

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka
    Could you possibly have a look at theis short article and correct all the mistakes I made, please? As you can see, it's about the European Union.... And I am not just an expert on this subject, so if you see some other mistakes (connected with history, policy etc.), let me know....

THE EUROPEAN UNION

The European Union (EU) is a term for integrative coalition (union) of 25 European democratic member states committed to working together for peace and prosperity. This term was introduced in 1993, after session in Maastricht, 1992, when the Maastricht Treaty was signed. something is either missing or too much
    The difference between the EU and other international institutions is the fact that the EU is not, in fact, a real “federation“. It is not a big state to replace the existing states. The EU wants its “federal“ states to keep their own national name, culture and a determinate piece of sovereignity. Although the member states of the EU have transferred, to some extent, sovereignity, the EU does not have the power to transfer powers from states onto itself without their agreements. It means that sessions are held and many treats must be signed before something radical happens. Too wishy-washy

The main reason for establishing it was the idea of prosperity, peace, international cooperation, economical increase both of individual countries and the whole union as well. It is clear that the EU has much more renowned name and has much more political and economical power than just one single country.
    The first incentive of such a integration was after the Second World War. The first idea was to prevent such killing and destruction from happening ever again.
    On 9th May, 1950, French Foreign Minister Robert Schuman proposed (Germany) a partnership in a strategic area of coal mining and steel making and a contract (Schuman’s declaration) was signed. In 1951, first integration groupage was established: European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC).
    This day, May 9th, is now annually celebrated as Europe Day. It can be said it is a “birthday“ of the EU.something is missing "has a renowned ..." ...

3. How has the cooperation between EU members changed over the years?
    In the early years of European integration, the cooperation between the member states was based on economical development questions. This way (shrough co-operative market and international trade) It was needed to contribute to increase employment rate, living standards and manufacture rationalisation of member states.
    There was an opinion, that economical integration was more passble than a political one, whom many governmens didn’t believe.
    Nonetheless, now the EU deals with many other subjects such as citizens’ rights, ensuring freedom, security and justice, job creation, environmental protection, education etc. Just typos

To some extent, the EU is gradually helping to achieve its all objectives. It has helped to raise living standards, built a single Europe-wide market, launched the single European currency, the euro (it is launched in all the states of the EU except for the 10 countries that entered the EU in 2004 and except for the UK, Denmark and Sweden). Check your tense
    You may want to look at my comments in red.

Thank you very much, twostep, but my English isn't (I'm afariad) so good to recognize the mistakes...

The European Union (EU) is a term for integrative coalition (union) of 25 European democratic member states committed to working together for peace and prosperity. This term was introduced in 1993, after session in Maastricht, 1992, when the Maastricht Treaty was signed. something is either missing or too much

The difference between the EU and other international institutions is the fact that the EU is not, in fact, a real “federation“. It is not a big state to replace the existing states. The EU wants its “federal“ states to keep their own national name, culture and a determinate piece of sovereignity. Although the member states of the EU have transferred, to some extent, sovereignity, the EU does not have the power to transfer powers from states onto itself without their agreements. It means that sessions are held and many treats must be signed before something radical happens. Too wishy-washy[/

what is as bad about "session"? Do you mean I should write e.g. "a session held in Maastricht" ?
    Should I write "a" session?

"before a radical action is performed"?

This day, May 9th, is now annually celebrated as Europe Day. It can be said it is a “birthday“ of the EU.something is missing "has a renowned ..." ...
    "has A much more renowned name"? I really don't know what you mean...
    To some extent, the EU is gradually helping to achieve its all objectives. It has helped to raise living standards, built a single Europe-wide market, launched the single European currency, the euro (it is launched in all the states of the EU except for the 10 countries that entered the EU in 2004 and except for the UK, Denmark and Sweden). Check your tense
    I don't understand what is so incorrect about these questions, really .
    perhaps... "has built" ? "has launched"? and what about "raise"?

Well, I'd like to thank you again... And I hope you won't mind reading this again...

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka
    Thank you very much, twostep, but my English isn't (I'm afariad) so good to recognize the mistakes...

what is as bad about "session"? Do you mean I should write e.g. "a session held in Maastricht" ?
    Should I write "a" session?

"before a radical action is performed"?

"has A much more renowned name"? I really don't know what you mean...

I don't understand what is so incorrect about these questions, really .
    perhaps... "has built" ? "has launched"? and what about "raise"?
    Just the tense - has helped to BUILD/HAS LAUNCHED/RAISE

Well, I'd like to thank you again... And I hope you won't mind reading this again...
    Language is an ongoing project. You will learn a lot but also loose a lot by not using it.

You seem to me to be very sophisticated
    What do you mean?

And, by the way, what about the mistakes I made?
    Last edited by Lenka; 26-Apr-2006 at 20:28.