paragraph

The discovery of an ancient tomb in modern China is so commonplace that it often annoys as much as excites, because it can delay construction for months or even years. So when archeologists were called in last May to check structures discovered during the expansion of a bonemeal factory in a southern suburb of Beijing, they weren’t expecting to find anything of great interest. To the archeologists' surprise, the structures were the remains of two traditional domed tombs, each over a thousand years old. One was flooded and badly damaged, but the other contained beautifully-preserved wall frescoes from the 10th century. "It's only recently that the Chinese have been publishing artifacts from ancient tombs, and it's unusual to see them in the Western press," says Dr Jessica Rawson, Professor of Oriental Art and Archeology at Oxford University.

93. According to Professor Rawson in the passage, China —.

A) has only recently emerged as an area of interest for archeologists
    B) has only just started to publish art objects for the West
    C) is noted for its ancient domed tombs with frescoes
    D) continues to be very secretive about its archeological finds
    E) has the finest frescoes anywhere in the world

I am stuck between B and D. In B, "for the west" cannot be deduced from the passage as the passage points out only that Chinese have been publishing artifacts from ancient tombs. That they have been publishing artifacts from ancient tombs for the west is not expressed in the passage. I think B is wrong for this reason. As for D, D states that China continues to be very secretive about its archeological finds, but this is not true according to the passage as the passage points out that it's only recently that the Chinese have been publishing artifacts from ancient tombs. This shows that China has been secretive about her artifacts from ancient tombs, but she is no longer so. But D states that China is still secretive, which, I think, cannot be inferred from the passage. In the passage it reads "it's unusual to see them in the Western press", but can this be indicative of China's being secretive about her artifacts? Not likely I think because the passage states that the Chinese have been publishing artifacts. That it is not usual to see the artifacts in the western press does not prove that China continues to be very secretive about them. This question was asked in a nationwide exam in Turkey in November, 2005.What do you think?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: paragraph

Hello Curious

I would choose B: although it's unusual to see articles about Chinese finds in the press in the West, Dr R's comment suggests that they do exist. And "It's only recently..." equates with "China has just started...".

D seems attractive too; but we aren't told that the Chinese are "secretive". There may have been other reasons for the lack of publication.

But I find the phrasing of answer B slightly odd.

As for the quality of the question...You already know my opinion of the person or panel who sets the questions for these exams!

MrP

Thanks, Mr P. But doesn't B seem to suggest that the artifacts have been published solely for the west? The passage points out that the Chinese have been publishing artifacts and it is unusual to see them in the West press. Have the artifacts been being published for the West?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Hello Curious

I wouldn't say "solely", no; it allows room for the interpretation: "publishing elsewhere, and now, sometimes, for the West".

If there were a comma after "objects", it would restrict the meaning to "solely for the West"!

See you
    MrP