• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

What's the following passage about?

Q. What's the following passage about?

Congratulations! Every high school diploma is the result of a lot of hard work by both parents and graduates. High school graduation is an exciting chapter in the continuing story of your family's life. It's also a moment to celebrate accomplishments, share your memories and look toward the future. The practice of sending high school graduation invitation cards signifies the special meaning of this milestone. It's a long-standing tradition, and you're now a part of it! Plus, traditional invitation cards are the most elegant way to share the news of this big day. Your high school graduation invitation cards should contain beautiful, custom-made elements for you. Jostens can create them just for you. Please send your photo, your school mascot, motto, and information about the ceremony. We can give your cards the unique look your achievement deserves, and we print them on the finest, superior-quality paper.

---------------------------------------
    The above is from one of my English books and the book says the answer is "the advertisement of high school graduation invitation cards." I think the answer can be more specific adding "manufacturing." So my answer is "the advertisement of manufacturing high school graduation invitation cards." Please leave a comment about this. Thank you in advance.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What's the following passage about?

Jostens "creates" a custom graduation card for you. We usually think of "manufacturing" as an industrial process -- a more mechanical and laborious endeavor, and less of a "creative" endeavor.

You could say: "... an advertisement for the creation of high school graduation invitation cards."

Jostens is an actual company which sells graduation products in the U.S.

--lotus

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I don't like "the advertisement of" at all, regardless of what comes after it. The passage is simply about graduation invitation cards. It includes some information on one company which can custom-make them for you.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

I am not a teacher.

I don't think its simply about graduation invitation cards and happens to include some information on one company which can custom-make them.

It reads as an advertisment for Jostens graduation cards dissimulated in a congratulatory text.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

How can it not be an advertisement? If you can read this as a purely descriptive text, you're not paying attention to the tactics of capitalism - not that I'm against capitalism. Of course, where this passage occurs might add a different slant to it but, for me, it's very hard to read it as anything other than Jostens trying to increase sales of its cards.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by giddyman View Post
    I think the answer can be more specific adding "manufacturing."
    The fact that they can have custom-made elements seems to be the key idea. I don't think manufacturing adds much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I should have been clearer. I agree that it is an advert. It was the phrase "advertisement of" that I objected to. For me "advertisement for" would be grammatically correct.

However, I would like to go back to the original question - "What is the passage about?" The answer to that can only be "The passage is about ...". For me, "The passage is about an advertisement for ..." does not make sense. The passage is about graduation invitation cards. The passage is​ an advertisement for a company.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.