• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

While dealing with ionising radiation, .... to minimise exposure to ionising radiatio

Hello everybody!

X-ray tests - part 4

While dealing with ionising radiation, X-ray operators should arrange their workplace in such a way as to minimise exposure to ionising radiation.

Do you think this sentence is properly formulated?

Please consider the sentence below, paying special attention to "in such a way as to minimise".

Maybe I could write "While dealing with ionising radiation, X-ray operators should arrange their workplace in order to minimise exposure to ionising radiation" or "While dealing with ionising radiation, X-ray operators should arrange their workplace so as to minimise exposure to ionising radiation"?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: While dealing with ionising radiation, .... to minimise exposure to ionising radi

"In order to" is best. I don't think the "while dealing with..." phrase adds anything to the sentence.

I am not sure that this should be left to the operators. The workplace should be organized to minimize their exposure. It should have nothing to do with the practices of Bob versus how Joe runs the machine.

Every time I have gotten an x ray, the technicians go into another room in order to run the machine. The controls are in a safe area.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: While dealing with ionising radiation, .... to minimise exposure to ionising radi

I wrote "while dealing with ionising radiation" because X-ray operators bear responsibility for operation and maintenance of X-ray equipment. In this case "while dealing with ionising radiation" is short for ""while X-ray operators (they) are dealing with ionising radiation" and applies solely to X-operators. There is the same subject in both the clauses.