Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please see my corrections to your posts. Please remember these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter and always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Also remember how to construct a question. You cannot just write a statement and put a question mark at the end. You need to invert the verb and subject.

I don't know anyone who has learnt a foreign language simply to find a boyfriend/girlfriend who speaks that language. I find the idea of learning English just to find an English-speaking partner rather shallow.

We don't know if it's "true". You would have to ask the person learning the language. The most natural way to say it is "I'm learning English because I want to get an English-speaking boyfriend/girlfriend".

I am very grateful to you to say so many words.I must be very lucky to be corrected all my mistakes from you.I will read them as much as I can.Then,I want to say that I am against this point of view.Of course,different people have different ideas.However,I learn English just for finding a good job in the furture.What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Obviously, the OP is talking about culture rather than grammar.

Not a teacher.

Ok, I think that different people have different purposes for learning a new language. For me. Such as French. It's very hard for me.But I need to learn it because of my school's courses. I have no choose.

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
not a teacher

Here are some ways to express this idea.

I'm learning English so I can find a foreign boyfriend.
My purpose in learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.
I'm learning English with the intention of finding a foreign boyfriend.

There are others.

Thank you. I can learn more about this now.May I ask you another question? Why do learn English?

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you. I can learn more about this now.May I ask you another question? Why do learn English?

Why do you learn English?What's your opinion?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
So ,what is your opinion? Someone'purpose of learning English is to find a foreign boyfriend.Is it true or not?

I suppose it happens, but the vast majority of my students have been learning it for other reasons- academic and professional mostly.

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Obviously, the OP is talking about culture rather than grammar.

Not a teacher.

I may say sorry about that.In the front of my post. I have asked two questions. But my origenal question and the most important one is about English grammar. I want to know the difference among the following three phrases. They are:"my purpose of doing sth/my purpose in doing sth/the purpose my doing sth." Whether they have the same meaning and whether they can be used in the same context or not? May I request you to answer my question? Thanks again.

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Helen:

That's what I thought. The problem with your sentences is that "foreign boyfriend" does not immediately connect with English. There are many foreign men who do not speak English.

I may say sorry about what I have said before which was in the front of my post. I am not good enough to express myself very well by using English. That is why I must be practise as much as I can.Maybe I have asked some questions. But my origenal question and the most important one is about English grammar. I want to know the difference among the following three phrases. They are:"my purpose of doing sth/my purpose in doing sth/the purpose my doing sth." Whether they have the same meaning and whether they can be used in the same context or not? May I request you to answer my question? Thanks again.

Helen Huang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
When you say "Is it proper in your culture ...", do you mean "Is it grammatically correct ..."?

I am not good enough to express myself very well by using English. That is why I try to practise myself in the public.Maybe I have asked some questions. But my origenal question and the most important one is about English grammar. I want to know the difference among the following three phrases. They are:"my purpose of doing sth/my purpose in doing sth/the purpose my doing sth." Whether they have the same meaning and whether they can be used in the same context or not? May I request you to answer my question? Thanks again.

HenryLin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, it is good that you had decided to learn English for finding a foreign boyfriend, which feels your communication gap as well as make you express your feeling in a good way, when you know his language. But at the time of learning, give special attention towards grammar and pronunciation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.