Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The use of "shall" is limited now in spoken English. It is not grammatically incorrect to use it, but its general use by native speakers has been dropped. Where as before you would hear "Shall I help you?" or "Shall we go to the cinema Saturday?", you will now hear "let me help you" or can I help you?", "let's go the cinema Saturday? or "how about going to the cinema Saturday". Dropping the regualr use of "shall" in English was discussed in Fowler's English Usage years ago, and yet some schools still insist on teaching its use. Using it in normal conversation sounds a little archaic

mlc

Member Type
English Teacher
I love using shall, but admit that I seldom hear it used by others. I'd hate to see its use disappear entirely.

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Would I help you..."-- polite

This isn't a polite form, Sheena, it's a conditional statement. We don't use 'would' in this form with 'I' unless we want to make the conditional statement I mentioned above.

A: Help me, okay?

B: Would I help you, hmmmmm, if you were to pay me I might.

To make an equivalent polite question to "Could I help you?", we use,

Would you like some help?

Would you like me to help you?

[probably some others]

Hi Riverkid

Yes, you are right
My intention was to say : Would you like me to help you ? I made a mistake and I am sorry.
Thank you for your intervention.

Note : I changed my former username [sheena55ro] into this one.

Regards

normsinan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear Sir.
Now i not clear when we use will and when we use shall?

syed zain

Member Type
Student or Learner
i think either is coming and suitable word for this sentence. but u plz inform the diferrence b/w these words

ksa32

Member Type
Student or Learner
I think both shall or will are possible

:roll:

rhapsody_08

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear Sir.
Now i not clear when we use will and when we use shall?

Hi!....:hi:

The traditional rule of usage guides dates from the 17th century and says that to denote future time shall is used in the first person (I shall leave. We shall go) and will in all other persons (You will be there, won't you? He will drive us to the airport. They will not be at the meeting). The rule continues that to express determination, will is used in the first person (We will win the battle) and shall in the other two persons (You shall not bully us. They shall not pass). Whether this rule was ever widely observed is doubtful. Today, will is used overwhelmingly in all three persons and in all types of speech and writing both for the simple future and to express determination. Shall has some use in all persons, chiefly in formal writing or speaking, to express determination: I shall return. We shall overcome. Shall also occurs in the language of laws and directives: All visitors shall observe posted regulations. Most educated native users of American English do not follow the textbook rule in making a choice between shall and will.......:cheers:

Kenneth_Wai

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi, Teacher.
I'm Wai from HK.:cool:

May I ask is that "Shall" is always better "will"?
More Polite when in "1st personal view"?
How about "May I"?

I usually use "May I" > "Shall I" and "Would you" > "Will you?"
Am I right?:roll::roll::roll:

Thanks.

sievebrain

Member Type
English Teacher
The use of "will" or "shall" is often dependant on the phraseology.
"I'll help you with that" would be the most comon usage in this context.
Or "Let me help you with that". "Shall I help you with that" would be somewhat "out of the blue" i.e an unexpected offer of help.
So the use of "shall" or "will" in this case is dependant on the context of the situation.
Sievebrain

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi!....:hi:

The traditional rule of usage guides dates from the 17th century and says that to denote future time shall is used in the first person (I shall leave. We shall go) and will in all other persons (You will be there, won't you? He will drive us to the airport. They will not be at the meeting). The rule continues that to express determination, will is used in the first person (We will win the battle) and shall in the other two persons (You shall not bully us. They shall not pass). Whether this rule was ever widely observed is doubtful. Today, will is used overwhelmingly in all three persons and in all types of speech and writing both for the simple future and to express determination. Shall has some use in all persons, chiefly in formal writing or speaking, to express determination: I shall return. We shall overcome. Shall also occurs in the language of laws and directives: All visitors shall observe posted regulations. Most educated native users of American English do not follow the textbook rule in making a choice between shall and will.......:cheers:

This is correct. I use shall for the first person in my academic writings.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This thread still attracts genuine responses from people. To save yourself time, note that sound answers have been give in posts 2-5, 29, 34, 36, 41, and 51

Last edited:

sciencestp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Catalan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I think "shall" is used in a formal context. I am not an English native, but I was studying this language many time and I learned that "shall" is more polite.
All the best! :)

wq925110

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
select shall,;-)

juveq8

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Kuwait
Current Location
Kuwait
As I guessed ''shall'' more common than others .

uanihat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I thinj all of them can be

Status
Not open for further replies.