• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Meaning of a complicated sentence...

Dear natives and teachers,

The following sentence seems somehow paradoxical to me. Could you please explain its meaning? If a merchant is a member of the chain and s/he tries to fight that while s/he has no chance, how come it is a so good luck?

"Being a member of this chain is voluntary so good luck to any merchant who tries to fight that, no chance."

If you need to know more about the context, here it is:

"Power in this industry rests in one place, the card brands and their attendant companies. They can make up rules somewhat arbitrarily and those lower down the line have literally no say in them. Why? Because they can pull the plug on the issuer on a whim and there goes a major part of their business. Being a member of this chain is voluntary so good luck to any merchant who tries to fight that, no chance." [Source]

Thanks in advance!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Meaning of a complicated sentence...

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Hsn View Post
    Dear natives and teachers,

The following sentence seems somehow paradoxical to me. Could you please explain its meaning? If a merchant is a member of the chain and s/he tries to fight that while s/he has no chance, how come it is a so good luck?

"Being a member of this chain is voluntary so good luck to any merchant who tries to fight that, no chance."

If you need to know more about the context, here it is:

"Power in this industry rests in one place, the card brands and their attendant companies. They can make up rules somewhat arbitrarily and those lower down the line have literally no say in them. Why? Because they can pull the plug on the issuer on a whim and there goes a major part of their business. Being a member of this chain is voluntary so good luck to any merchant who tries to fight that, no chance." [Source]

Thanks in advance!
    I think it is a very badly written sentence. (And I am trying to pay attention to the football games. ) What the sentence means, I think, is that fighting that (whatever that is) is hopeless, so you had better have luck on your side. (I think the "that" is the decisions of the card brands.)