Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: "Screw back?"

  1. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2013
    • Posts: 163

    "Screw back?"

    Hey there,

    I often hear people saying, "screw back/forward" or things like that when they were asking their kids to move forward or backward. But I don't think it was" screw back".

    Are there any phrases indicating "move forward/backward" and the pronunciation is similar to "screw back"?


  2. lotus888's Avatar
    Senior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: May 2014
    • Posts: 417

    Re: "Screw back?"

    The word you're looking for is "scooch".

    It's an informal word meaning to move yourself or a piece of furniture forward, backward or sideways just a little to accommodate space for someone or something else.

    Can you scooch your seat just a little so we can fit another chair? Thanks.


Similar Threads

  1. [General] Pronounce "Back" as "Bark" BBC News
    By EngFan in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-Jul-2013, 19:30
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2012, 16:34
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-May-2009, 11:59
  4. "put my seat back", "in the back", ...
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2007, 02:07
  5. What does "screw fair" mean?
    By chitchit in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2007, 11:33


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts