Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello All,
I am getting confused on how to use coordinating conjunctions .

According to the following definition of coordinating conjunctions:
"A coordinating conjunction joins parts of a sentence (for example words or independent clauses)
that are grammatically equal or similar. A coordinating conjunction shows that the elements it
joins are similar in importance and structure"

Source:https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/conjunctions-coordinating.htm

Why the following examples are not grammatically equal or similar but they are considered as the coordinating clauses ?!
I bold the differences:

I wanted to go out, but none of my friend were available.
It didn't rain yesterday, so I went for a long time.
She is kind so she helps people.
I went home for it was late.
I would love to come over, but my parents will not let me.
I love summer, but I am happy to be back to school.

I meant both side of independent clauses aren't grammatically equal, one used 'would' another used 'will', or something like that ...

For example the following are correct according to the definition of coordinating conjunctions:

He is sad yet funny.(both side are adjective)
He ran out of the house and in to the rain. ( both side have prepositional phrase)

Thanks so much

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
nininaz said:
I wanted to go out, but none of my friend were available.
It didn't rain yesterday, so I went for a long time.
She is kind, so she helps people.
I went home, for it was late.
I would love to come over, but my parents will not let me.
I love summer, but I am happy to be back to school.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Nininaz:

In my OPINION, those conjunctions do fit the the definition of a coordinating conjunction because each sentence consists of two main clauses that are connected by a coordinating conjunction.

A coordinating conjunction connects something of equal rank (in this case, two main clauses).

Look at these sentences from a grammar book:

You stay here; I will go in search of him. (no connective) [My note: You could also use a period if you wanted two sentences.]
You stay here, and I will go in search of him. (coordinating conjunction) [My note: Notice that it does not matter that the tense of the verb in each main clause is different.]
You stay here; however, I will go in search of him. (transitional adverb)

James

NOTES:

1. Credit for those sentences: Pence and Emery, A Grammar of Present-Day English.

2. A moderator (and professional writer) recently reminded us of the mnemonic to remember the seven coordinating conjunctions: fanboys.
for / and / nor / but / or / yet / so.

Last edited:

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India

A coordinating conjunction connects something of equal rank (in this case, two main clauses).

Thanks for your great explanations.
Could you please give me the example of the sentence which don't fit the definition of coordinating conjunctions?!
I mean the example of NOT grammatically equal or similar . Not having equal rank.

Thanks so much

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not having equal rank.

Hello, Nininaz:

Here are some thoughts for you (not "answers").

1. "I like ice cream, and you like ice cream."

a. Both clauses are of equal rank.
b. If I go up to a stranger on the street and say, "I like ice cream," the stranger might reply, "That's nice. Thank you for telling me."
c. If I go up to a stranger on the street and say, "You like ice cream," the stranger might reply, "How did you know?"

2. "I like ice cream if the weather is hot."

a. If I go up to a stranger on the street and say, "I like ice cream," the stranger might reply, "I do, too!"
b. If I go up to a stranger on the street and say, "If the weather is hot," the stranger will think that I am crazy. The clause "if the weather is hot" means nothing by itself. It DEPENDS on a main clause. And that main clause is "I like cream."
c. Therefore, "I like ice cream" and "if the weather is hot" are not of equal rank. "I like ice cream" is a sentence that makes sense by itself; "If the weather is hot" canNOT stand by itself. It DEPENDS on the main clause "I like ice cream."

d. Grammarians have decided to call a clause that depends on a main clause by a special name: subordinate clause.

i. And the word that introduces the subordinate clause is called a subordinating conjunction.

3. "Because it's hot." You now can guess that "because it's hot" is a subordinate clause because it does NOT make sense by itself. It depends on a main clause. For example:

I am eating ice cream because it's hot.
The Smiths are going to the beach tomorrow because it's hot.
I can't touch the stove, because it's hot.

James

Here are some subordinating conjunctions: that, whether, if, though, because, until, while, etc.

Some (Some!) books also call these words subordinating conjunctions: when, where, why, how, etc.

Last edited:

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
I think hitting the 'like' or 'thank' button is not enough to say how much your help was great and helpful so I wanted to say Really Really thanks .You gave the detailed explanation which takes much time . Thanks volunteer helper for your patient during answering our questions.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think hitting the 'like' or 'thank' button is not enough to say how much your help was great and helpful so I wanted to say Really Really thanks .You gave the detailed explanation which takes much time . Thanks volunteer helper for your patient during answering our questions.

I know you didn't ask me for advice, but I am going to give it to you anyway. (Aren't I sweet?) Do not try to cram too much into one sentence. For example: "Thank you for your help." (Stop! You have finished the thought. If you want to add something, make another sentence.)

(I have learned more about coordinating conjunctions on this website than I ever knew before. (I knew how to use them, but I didn't know that's what I was doing.) Learning English as a native speaker is very different from learning ESL.)

Remember -- make shorter sentences! (Perhaps: "I appreciate your efforts." (You could also say: "I appreciate time and effort you put into helping us ESL learners," but that's too long. Remember that you need to practice making shorter sentences.)

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.