• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"8 Shark GIFs"

Yes, I have checked the Web, but I still do not understand, so ....

I learned that GIF was chosen the "Word of the Year [2012] by the Oxford American Dictionary.

I have just seen it in an article in the respectable Time magazine, so I know that it is not an obscenity.

It was used by the leader of the House of Representatives, and he is a very respectable gentleman.

He issued this press release: "8 Shark GIFs That Perfectly Explain Why Senate [Democrats] Can't Ignore House Republican Jobs Bills."

Would someone please explain what "GIFs" means? (I think that the word "shark" refers to the popularity of TV shows about sharks.)

Thank you,

James

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: "8 Shark GIFs"

It stands for Graphics Interchange Format. See HERE.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you VERY much.

But your humble servant still does not understand what that gentleman was trying to say.

James

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I assume that there was a link which led to eight different online pictures/short videos/animated pictures all of which, no doubt in a hilarious way (!), why "Senate Democrats can't ignore House Republican Jobs Bills". I don't pretend to have any idea what that means.

HERE is a link to the entire thing which includes the 8 GIFs in question.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you, EMSR, for the link. As you said, each of the 8 points was "illustrated" with a GIF.

Just in case any member wants the whole history of GIFs, I found a neat article that tells you everything about that new word.

Of course, I do not know how to link to it.

Go directly to Google (only) and type in: Fernando Alfonso III's work in the Daily Dot. The animated history of the GIF.

It is the 5th result. When it comes on, there is a short paragraph and then you are directed to click on for the whole article.

I learned that the "correct" pronunciation -- according to some experts -- is "jif," as in "jiffy."

James
    Last edited by TheParser; 28-Sep-2014 at 14:23. Reason: spelling error

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

To paste a link, simple go to the page you want to link to. Put your cursor in the bar that tells you the address and click. It will highlight the entire address. Press Control + C on your keyboard. [Or you can RIGHT click in the address line and choose "Copy.]

Then go to your post in Using English. Click where you want the post to go. Press Control + V to paste in the address. [Or RIGHT click and choose "Paste."]

While you are still in your search results, you can also highlight the results and Copy with Control + C or you can right click and choose Copy. You paste the same way.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.