• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

This/It

Here are two exchanges:

Exchange 1: Is this Alice? - This isn't Alice. This is me. (Situation 1: My friend and I are looking at the pictures in a family album)
    Exchange 2: Is it you (added later) Alice? - It isn't Alice. It's me. (Situation 2: I am knocking at my friend's door.)

Can we use the above exchanges for both situations (that is Exchange 1 for Situation 2 and Exchange 2 for situation 1), or only as they are in my example - exchange 1) for situation 1) and exchange 2) for situation 2)?
    Last edited by englishhobby; 01-Oct-2014 at 19:11.
    If I were a native speaker of English, I would never shut up. :-)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: This/It

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, EnglishHobby:

I am not answering your question. I will leave that to more qualified members.

I just wanted to tell you how I would handle those conversations. (I cannot speak for anyone else.)

(Mona and I are looking at an album)

Mona: Is this a photo of Igor?
    James: No, it isn't. It's me. ["Book English": It's I. But 99% (?) of native speakers ignore the rule.]

(I knock on Mona's door. She was EXPECTING Raul.)

Mona: Raul? / Is that you, Raul?
    James: No, it isn't. It's me.
    Mona: Who is it? / Who is "me"? [the second question is humorous and perhaps a bit sarcastic]
    James: Don't you recognize my voice?
    Mona: Oh, is that you, Jimmy?
    James: Of course.

James
    Last edited by TheParser; 28-Sep-2014 at 11:20. Reason: added a pronoun

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thank you, TheParser. I wonder if you really always use the word photo in informal speech. Can't you just say briefly "Is this you?" when looking at one's photo? (I am asking because in my culture it's very common to omit the word photo, especially if there are dozens of photos and you comment on each of them.) Can't you say "This is my aunt and this is my second cousin's first wife. This is me again." etc? Do you use "the photo of" every time?

P.S. To rephrase my initial post: Could the following conversation be regarded as natural in some context? If yes, what kind of context?

Is this Alice? - This isn't Alice. This is me.
    Last edited by englishhobby; 28-Sep-2014 at 12:52.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you for your kind note.

I am confident enough to say that you are 100% correct: there is no need to say the word "photo" or "picture" if the context is clear.

If you held up a photograph, it would be fine to simply say, "Is this you?" There is no need to say, "Is this you in the photo?" In fact, some

sensitive people might feel insulted. They might reply, "I know that you are referring to a photo. Do you think that I am stupid?"

Regarding your last question, I will leave it for one of the language professionals. The forum rules prohibit us non-teachers from answering unless we are reasonably confident of our answers. And I am not in this case.

Have a nice day!

James
    Last edited by TheParser; 28-Sep-2014 at 14:37. Reason: formatting problems

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

For the original question, the original sentences are the best. Number 1 would probably work for number two, but number two doesn't work for number one.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post

The forum rules prohibit us non-teachers from answering unless we are reasonably confident of our answers. And I am not in this case.

I think you are being too shy. Your opinion as of a native speaker could be very valuable and forum rules allow you to give your opinion with the comment "Not a teacher". If, in addition, you use introductory phrases like "As I view it" etc. I am sure a lot of non-native speakers will be happy to know your opinion and make their own conclusions keeping in mind the fact that you're not a teacher. I personally am eager to know your answer to my post (I am aware that it may be different from what native English-speaking teachers would say, but it's precious to me (and I am sure to others as well) in its own way.)
    Last edited by englishhobby; 02-Oct-2014 at 07:11.