Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #1

    Unhappy since when...?

    Hi there,
    I can't work it out - is it possible to ask a question like this?
    1. Since when have you lived here?
    I have lived here since my birth.

    I know that I could say:
    2. How long have you lived here?
    I have lived here for 30 years.

    But is it correct if I answer the question like this:
    I have lived here since my birth.

    I'm of the opinion that question 1 would be more appropriate to such an answer. But still I don't know whether it is correct to ask such a question.

    Waiting for your help.

  2. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    #2

    Re: since when...?

    Instead of "since my birth," it would be better to say "I have lived here since I was born."

  3. #3

    Re: since when...?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30
    Hi there,
    I can't work it out - is it possible to ask a question like this?
    1. Since when have you lived here?
    I have lived here since my birth.
    I know that I could say:
    2. How long have you lived here?
    I have lived here for 30 years.
    But is it correct if I answer the question like this:
    I have lived here since my birth.
    I'm of the opinion that question 1 would be more appropriate to such an answer. But still I don't know whether it is correct to ask such a question.
    Waiting for your help.
    You would say "How long have you lived here? The answer may be "Since my birth", "Since 1984" or "For 30 years". I wouldn't use "Since when have you lived here?"

    As for is it correct to ask such a question, it is not a question you would ask a total stranger but an acquaintance yes (if that's what you mean)

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #4

    Re: since when...?

    The answers which you and Ouisch provided me with are exactly the ones I was expecting to get. Thank you both.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2005
    • Posts: 2,585
    #5

    Re: since when...?

    "Since when..." is quite common in a sarcastic context.

    1. Since when have you been interested in politics?

    implication: "frankly, I'm not sure I believe you're interested in politics certainly I've never noticed!"

    Or to express surprise:

    2. "Did you know that MissP had moved in with MrQ?" "Really? Since when?"

    And I may be imagining it; but it seems to me that "since when" might also be used if you wanted to extract a more precise answer from someone. Cf.

    3. "How long have you known the accused?"
    4. "Since when have you known the accused?"

    It would be quite difficult to answer #4 with anything other than a date; whereas #3 seems to give the answerer more scope for vagueness (e.g. "About 40 years").

    MrP

  5. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #6

    Smile Re: since when...?

    Yes, I have encountered some sample sentences in my dictionary where the meaning was sarcastic in context. And then I started to wonder whether it was possible, and correct at once, to use the same pattern if I wanted to ask about the exact point of time when something began. Now that I have been provided with your reply, I am aware of the fact that I can use such a question. Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2005
    • Posts: 2,585
    #7

    Re: since when...?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30
    Yes, I have encountered some sample sentences in my dictionary where the meaning was sarcastic in context.
    It's a very thorough dictionary I'm impressed!

    MrP

  6. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #8

    Re: since when...?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic
    It's a very thorough dictionary I'm impressed!
    MrP
    As a matter of fact, I'm using a few thick English-English dictionaries which are all household names. Without them, I couldn't take part in any kinds of discussions on many forums. Besides, with the help of the dictionaries and people like you, sir, I can constantly improve my English. I appreciate it.


    • Join Date: May 2008
    • Posts: 1,157
    #9

    Re: since when...?

    Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press

    Can since when, which is used angrily in speech to ask someone why they believe a situation to be different from how it really is, be used in the present, past, and present perfect tenses?

    Example:
    Since when are you [were you, have you been] an expert on choosing husbands?

  7. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #10

    Re: since when...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruma View Post
    Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press

    Can since when, which is used angrily in speech to ask someone why they believe a situation to be different from how it really is, be used in the present, past, and present perfect tenses?

    Example:
    Since when are you [were you, have you been] an expert on choosing husbands?
    Yes it would work with your examples.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •