• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Post how to practice listening? any advise?

hi , i want to know more about listening . how to be active while listening not being passive listener , what should i do while listening ? . Should i learn english with movies? should i listen to short passages , like podcasts? or. .. .
    thanks in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: how to practice listening? any advise?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatem Tarek View Post
    Hi. I want to know more about listening, how to be active while listening, not being passive listener. What should I do while listening? (No full stop after a question mark.) Should I learn English with movies? Should I listen to short passages (no comma here) like podcasts? Or do you have some other suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
    First, please see the corrections I have made to your post in red. It is important to follow the rules of written English:

- Start very sentence with a capital letter.
    - End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
    - Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
    - Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
    - Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).

Now I will move on to your question. You asked "Should I learn English with movies?" The answer is no. You should learn English at classes and by studying at home on your own, using grammar books and exercises and online resources.
    You can practise and hone your English using TV shows, movies, radio broadcasts, podcasts and any other form of English you can find. People learn in different ways so you will have to work out what is best for you.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    First, please see the corrections I have made to your post in red. It is important to follow the rules of written English:

- Start very sentence with a capital letter.
    - End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
    - Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
    - Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
    - Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).

Now I will move on to your question. You asked "Should I learn English with movies?" The answer is no. You should learn English at classes and by studying at home on your own, using grammar books and exercises and online resources.
    You can practise and hone your English using TV shows, movies, radio broadcasts, podcasts and any other form of English you can find. People learn in different ways so you will have to work out what is best for you.
    Thanks mate for your answer . And i really want to improve my writing any tips for beginners?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Hatem Tarek View Post
    Thanks mate for your answer . And i really want to improve my writing any tips for beginners?
    Please don't refer to me as "mate". I am not being rude but we have never met and we are not friends. You can simply refer to me by my username.

I gave you at least 5 good writing tips in my last post. I suggest you read them and actually follow them. For example, in this post, you failed to capitalise the word "I" and you put a space before a full stop. I have underlined those errors above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.