• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Question UK - Home Tutor Websites/Directories

Hi,

First time post here, hoping somebody can advise.

UK based EFL/ESOL teacher. I plan to start giving 1-1 private lessons and need to register with a home tutor site to make myself visible to potential students. There seem to be quite a few of these sites - anyone have experience of which may be best, who they use, who I should avoid? I don't mind paying to register if the service merits it.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: UK - Home Tutor Websites/Directories

It's anew area and fairly volatile- a number of sites that were around a couple of years ago have shut down.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Try http://www.yell.com/ It's a must. Place small posters or card in public and local places, it works surprisingly well. If you can't advertise multi-lingual, keep your ads clear, basic, and simple.

For websites, you are better off having your own website and start writing a few blogs to promote it. It's surprisingly easy and cheap to set up your own website, forum and learning management system. I use http://www.hostgator.com/ for about 7 GBP a month.

Also take full advantage of social places like facebook, twitter etc. I hate them all personally, but I can't deny they are great for self promotion. I'd be very surprised that this forum hasn't got a classified section for teacher, as I would certainly have one.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

The problem with having such a section in the forum is that forums can be held responsible for their content and we couldn't know who was advertising what.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'd advertise everywhere you can for free - Yell, Gumtree, local library, university noticeboards, supermarket noticeboards, Facebook, your own website (this can be done for free), Friday-Ad website and any local papers where you live.

The only website I wouldn't bother with is Yelp. I have had a free ad with them for over 3 years and haven't had a single enquiry. In fact, according to their own stats, not a single user has even seen the ad!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.