English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

First time post here, hoping somebody can advise.

UK based EFL/ESOL teacher. I plan to start giving 1-1 private lessons and need to register with a home tutor site to make myself visible to potential students. There seem to be quite a few of these sites - anyone have experience of which may be best, who they use, who I should avoid? I don't mind paying to register if the service merits it.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's anew area and fairly volatile- a number of sites that were around a couple of years ago have shut down.

jwsimpson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Russian Federation
Try http://www.yell.com/ It's a must. Place small posters or card in public and local places, it works surprisingly well. If you can't advertise multi-lingual, keep your ads clear, basic, and simple.

For websites, you are better off having your own website and start writing a few blogs to promote it. It's surprisingly easy and cheap to set up your own website, forum and learning management system. I use http://www.hostgator.com/ for about 7 GBP a month.

Also take full advantage of social places like facebook, twitter etc. I hate them all personally, but I can't deny they are great for self promotion. I'd be very surprised that this forum hasn't got a classified section for teacher, as I would certainly have one.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The problem with having such a section in the forum is that forums can be held responsible for their content and we couldn't know who was advertising what.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd advertise everywhere you can for free - Yell, Gumtree, local library, university noticeboards, supermarket noticeboards, Facebook, your own website (this can be done for free), Friday-Ad website and any local papers where you live.

The only website I wouldn't bother with is Yelp. I have had a free ad with them for over 3 years and haven't had a single enquiry. In fact, according to their own stats, not a single user has even seen the ad!

Status
Not open for further replies.