English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.:)
I found the following passage and question in an exercise book for Japanese high school students:

"Why can't we just bury Sophie alive?" The question came from my five-year-old son, Aidan. I had just explained that our seriously ill elderly cat, Sophie, would die on Tuesday, and that we would then put him in a cardboard box and bury him in the backyard.
[...]
Sophie was a blue cream Persian cat. As a kitten, he was so fluffy that even the vet mistook him for a girl. The friend who gave me Sophie had assured me that all blue creams were female. On the third visit to the vet, the doctor looked under his tail and said, " I've got bad news for you." "Worms, right?" "No," he said, "You're going to have to change the name." But I didn't, because by then both Sophie and I were accustomed to the name.
Over time, our kids learned from Sophie how to love a pet and the valuable lessons of how to be responsible about feeding, respecting, and care-giving. Now they were learning about death, and I was learning how to teach a child about death.
On Sophie's last day, before Aidan went to school he crouched down to pet him lovingly and said with a smile, "Bye, Sophie! I hope you have a good time dying!" I was shocked but held back my criticism. He doesn't know what words to use, I thought. I gave him more appropriate words: We'll miss you. You were a good cat. We love you. May you rest in peace. [...]

(Question)
Which one is the closest in meaning to the underlined part in the passage? (my translation from Japanese into English)

1. how they could feed themselves
2. how they should respond to the pet's demands
3. how they should provide food for the pet
4. how they could buy what the pet wants

The answer, according to the book, is #3. (I understand it's about "feeding", but I don't think it's the closest.)
I think the answer is #2. 'The pet's demands', in the context above, is equal to "the need or desire that the pet have for food/water".
What do you think?
Thank you.

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I feel that #3 is the closest. It seems to me that to be "responsible about feeding" means learning the importance of the regularity of meals, types and amounts of food etc, rather than responding to the more general demands of the pet, some of which may not be about food at all.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

I would have chosen #3 too.

I understand the phrase to mean 'how to go about feeding a pet in a responsible manner'.

If you feed your pet every time he asks for food you may well end up with an obese animal on your hands, and that would be irresponsible.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The underlined part only refers to feeding, so I agree with #3.

By the way, if it took the vet 3 visits to determine the sex of the pet, I would get a new vet. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.