• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • India

Need help understanding a sentence or two

I'm reading a book on understanding literary terms and a few sentences I've come across have escaped me entirely. I have given it much thought:
    "The Great Gatsby is so much subtler, so much more insightful about human nature and its historical moment, than his earlier books that it is almost inconceivable that his huge audience turned away. On the other hand, maybe that is why it turned away. Successfully predicting the coming calamity looks a lot like an excess of gloominess—until the disaster arrives. Humankind, observed Fitzgerald’s contemporary T. S. Eliot, cannot bear too much reality."
    I've highlighed the terms and sentences I haven't been able to understand.
    The book is 'Reading literature like a professor', Preface.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Need help understanding a sentence or two

A few years after the book was published, the Roaring Twenties came to an abrupt end with the Great Crash of 1929. The book looks bleakly at the optimism and spirit of some of those making money at that time before the disaster struck. It may have seemed negative in 1925,but probably less so in 1930. Many thought that those predicting serious troubles or disaster for the economy in 2005 were excessively gloomy. After the crash of 2008, they were seen differently.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Need help understanding a sentence or two

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    A few years after the book was published, the Roaring Twenties came to an abrupt end with the Great Crash of 1929. The book looks bleakly at the optimism and spirit of some of those making money at that time before the disaster struck. It may have seemed negative in 1925,but probably less so in 1930. Many thought that those predicting serious troubles or disaster for the economy in 2005 were excessively gloomy. After the crash of 2008, they were seen differently.
    Well, it was my understanding that the author was talking about the coming calamity of disastrous sales rather than economical decline when he said the line about predicting them? I get the part about the historical moment, but this isn't quite clear yet.