Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Kid: I am going to poo poo.
Adult: I am going to "?".

I know the polite way to say is "I am going to toilet.", but how to say more specific if you are going to make a sh*t?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ismiajeng

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Kid: I am going to poo poo.
Adult: I am going to "?".

I know the polite way to say is "I am going to toilet.", but how to say more specific if you are going to make a shit?
Do you mean 'taking a bowl'? There is a comon phrase about it which is 'take a bowl'. so you can use 'I want to take a bowl' or I am going to take a bowl'. Thank you

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Do you mean 'taking a bowl'? There is a comon phrase about it which is 'take a bowl'. so you can use 'I want to take a bowl' or I am going to take a bowl'. Thank you

Is "take a bowl" or "take a bowel"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I haven't heard either of those. In many families, kids say "poo poo" or "number 2" (number 1 being peeing).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An adult would not normally announce their intention to others. If one was forced to and wanted to remain as polite as possible (perhaps to a nurse if one was stuck in a hospital bed), one would say something like "I have to move my bowels."

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
if you are going to make a sh-t?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Jasonree:

May I most respectfully remind you that the S-word is still very vulgar among many people here in the United States.

If you used this word on a regular basis, it would hurt your chances of success in the business world.

(If you have to use this word, people usually say "take a ----.")

James

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I have never heard any of these used. SoothingDave's suggestion would work in a medical context. Outside of something like this, I wouldn't need to let people know beyond saying that I am going to the bathroom.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't need to let people know beyond saying that I am going to the bathroom.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I am looking at a comic strip in today's paper.

A weary wife asks her husband to look after their infant child while "I use the bathroom."

After a decent interval, the husband goes to the bathroom, opens the door and says, "You said you were just going to use the bathroom!"

His wife -- who is TAKING A BUBBLE BATH, READING A BOOK, AND ENJOYING A GLASS OF SOME BEVERAGE -- replies, "I didn't say what for!"

Source: "Baby Blues" comic strip by Jerry Scott and Rick Kirkman, October 11, 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.