English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi All,

Please help me with this...

I told a school principal to answer these questions

1. I couldn't find my keys anywhere, I ____________ have left it at work?

a. Would b. Must c. Had d. May

I gave the answer as Must have but the argument is why can't it be May or would....

2. According to Paul's _________________ the flight takes off at 7 am.

a. Knowledge b. opinion c. Information d. statement

I gave the answer as Information however the argument is why not Knowledge???

Please help me out

Many Thanks in advance

Daniel

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First of all, you should not have "told" a principal to do anything. You should have asked.

Both questions are problematic.

In the first, the question is a comma splice. After anywhere, there should be a semicolon or a full stop/period. And it should not end with a question mark. The pronoun is incorrect. "It" cannot stand in for "keys". The pronoun should be "them". Lastly, there are two correct answers, B and D, but none of the answers should be capitalized.

In the second, all four answers are arguably correct. However, neither A or C should be capitalized.

Where did you get these questions?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The answers you were given are the most natural or most likely. Many, if not all, of the other options are grammatically possible.

danyboy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
First of all, you should not have "told" a principal to do anything. You should have asked.

Both questions are problematic.

In the first, the question is a comma splice. After anywhere, there should be a semicolon or a full stop/period. And it should not end with a question mark. The pronoun is incorrect. "It" cannot stand in for "keys". The pronoun should be "them". Lastly, there are two correct answers, B and D, but none of the answers should be capitalized.

In the second, all four answers are arguably correct. However, neither A or C should be capitalized.

Where did you get these questions?

Hi Mike,

I know the question is framed wrong this is exactly how it appeared on the question paper

"I can't find my keys anywhere - I .......... have left them at work.

How can I argue that we should only use Must as the best answer.....

Second question:- This is how it appears on the question paper

According to Richard's ...... the train leaves at 7 0'clock

How can I argue that Information is the best answer instead of other options like Knowledge, advice, opinion

Please help me to get out of this....

Thanks in advance

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I will repeat Mike's question "Where did you find these sentences?" Simply saying "... the question paper" is of no help. What question paper? What exam? Who set it? What kind of exam? Local or national? International?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You cannot argue that you should only use one answer as the best answer if cases can be made for other options.The questions are, as Mike says, problematic. Therefore, the logical position is to accept more than one answer where this is possible. If the question is at fault,no one should be punished for giving a correct answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.