Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
How can you analyze this?
"There is a lot that can be said" or "There is a lot that has been said by others"?
there is a lot to be said
21)Over time, I have become increasingly aware that the world is divided into people who wait for others to give them permission to do the things they want to do and people who grant themselves permission. Some look inside themselves for motivation and others wait to be pushed forward by outside forces. From my experience, there is a lot to be said for seizing opportunities instead of waiting for someone to hand them to you. There are always white spaces ready to be filled and golden nuggets of opportunities lying on the ground waiting for someone to pick them up. Sometimes it means looking beyond your own desk, outside your building, across

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"There is a lot to be said" is more closely related to "There is a lot that can be said".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Some test maker interpreted this as "I heard many people saying we have to seize opportunities..", but I think it's wrong, an exaggeration!

[FONT=굴림] there is a lot to be said for seizing opportunities [/FONT]

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, many people may have said it, but the phrase is looking forward, not past.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Some test maker interpreted this as "I heard many people saying we have to seize opportunities..", but I think it's wrong, an exaggeration!

[FONT=굴림] there is a lot to be said for seizing opportunities [/FONT]

I am not a teacher.

'There's a lot to be said for something' is an idiom meaning there are advantages in it/doing it.

It has become a bit of a cliché.

Status
Not open for further replies.