Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi,

i'm a psychology major and one day I was talking to a professor about the stress of speaking publicly and why it causes stress.

I was trying to say that "psychologically speaking, when you have to speak before an audience, you have to be able to fully utilize all of your mental faculties, which can be emotionally taxing."

however I was too nervous speaking to a prof so I like said mental facilities instead(oh the irony!)

do you think mental facilities would have worked in this sense? Like some sort of mental aid/assistance? Since facilities mean something that makes doing something easier? I'm so afraid that he thought I was trying to say facilities as in hospital facilities. In this context do you think mental facilities would have worked as well(meaning mental aid/strategies)???AS LONG AS IT MAKES SOME SORT OF SENSE!
I know intuitively mental facilities mean like equipments and stuff at a hospital for mentally sick people, but do you think I can get away with it???:..0

I found this on dictionary.com:

facility:
something that permits the easier performance of an action, course of conduct, etc.:
to provide someone with every facility for accomplishing a task; to lack facilities for handling bulk mail.

Im so embarrassed by myself right now I wanna cry:..0 I asked my friend who's a native speaker of English and she was like it's ok in the context it's impossible for it to mean hospital facilities anyway and she said that it's ok. I don't know omg I'm literally tearing my hair out here:.......(

thanks soooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Don't stress yourself out. I think faculties is better and more common, but facilities is comprehensible and acceptable. Your prof probably didn't even notice.

Whatislife

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Don't stress yourself out. I think faculties is better and more common, but facilities is comprehensible and acceptable. Your prof probably didn't even notice.

But do you think it would be grammatical in this context though? I know it might sound a bit off compared to faculties cuz that's really what I meant, but do you think facilities would work in this context without giving him the impression that I meant some sort of mental hospital(cuz that would really sound like gibberish)?

Thanks so much for your reply you are a godsend!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It would have mattered if the word was written but since it was spoken, I do not think your prof thought much about it.
The word is not the best word to use but is quite close to the word 'faculties', which is the most appropriate word in the context.
I wouldn't brood over what has been said if I were you.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.