Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I often got a problem in understanding what native speaker said in movies, song or even in listening section of TOEFL. How to solve my problem in listening?

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Malta
I know it sounds obvious, but the best thing you can do is practice!

Try to relax and don't stress out when you are listening. Try not to focus on every single word, instead pick out the key words in the sentence and try to get the basic gist of what is being said... after a while you will be able to understand everything!

I hope this helps!

JoeFlo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I was learning a foreign language (French!) the best advice given to me was that you should watch French films with French subtitles to help you when you're first starting, to train your ear.

Also, old movies and songs tend to have much better diction and are therefore easier to understand :) try music from the 1940s/50s/60s, slow lyrical songs with repetitive choruses. Hope it helps!

TeddyAllen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In my opinion, the first thing you need to pay attention to is your pronunciation. Once you can pronounce the word correctly, it would be easier to listen to it.
Also, for movies and songs, try using subtitles and lyrics, sooner or later, your skill will improve. :-D

vandat2508

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Practice everyday and try to relax. I think this will be help you.

DOTOKATA

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
All the thing you need to do is practising, yes you heard right, how do you think you can improve it ? by listening, the more you listen to native speakers the more your brain improves automatically, meanwhile there are many adventages of watching series,especially ı can advise you to watch "lost" if you like adventure movies,on the one hand you can listen to music on the other hand you can watch its subtitle, it will work dude, ı am sure of it...Instead of studing grammer ı prefer listening too:D

thanks for asking a question like that

Natalia Marisse

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
In my opinion, you have to start at some level. If you think you are having a hard time understanding native English, say, 90% of the time, then start listening to a material with a slow speed. Repeat what you are doing every day. If you feel comfortable to move up a level, then try to listen to a faster audio, and keep on listening to that until you feel comfortable, then move up a level. It is a repetitive process, but trust me, it works. I used to find it very difficult to understand fast English, and it was so frustrating. But I had a goal, and I didn't want to give up. So even if it was a painstaking process, I kept on listening to native English until I reached a comfortable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.