English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Based on the phenomenon in HK currently, I wrote a short essay to reflect my feel

(You missed a 'be' in the third of those rhetorical questions. Also, in the second you need an inversion, so that they start 'How ridiculous can...? How heartless can...? How shameless can...?' (I think this device is very powerful: 'How <adjective> can...?' )

b

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Based on the phenomenon in HK currently, I wrote a short essay to reflect my feel

Quote Originally Posted by MiboMibo View Post
    They did all they could do. They kept the demonstrations peaceful from start to finish. We, the people of HongKong are honorable.
    Thanks to BobK for alerting me to goofs in the previous post. (This one was quite a job.)

3. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

the (1) high quality of Hong Kong people to the countries all over the world. They gain support from the other countries and also(2) remind the others again the corruption of Hong Kong and China. They did all they could do,(3) they maintain the peace until the end of the movement. We, HongKong people are honorable.

1. true grit of the Hong Kong people
    2. highlighted the issues of corruption and oppressive regime in HK and China to the world
    3. The protests had been carried out in a peaceful manner despite the adversities encountered, reflecting the dignity of the Hong Kong people. ('honorable' people sounds odd)
    Last edited by tedmc; 02-Nov-2014 at 08:55.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The protests were carried out in a peaceful manner.

By saying they are honorable people we are saying they conducted themselves in a respectable manner.

Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4