Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm working on a mobile game to learn english, and grappling with the best way to design the flow of the course. My background is mostly games design, though I have built some language learning apps for myself before.

It would be great to get opinions on the ways to structure such a course. I guess there are a few approaches:

1) by difficulty level
split grammar up by level. eg start with "simple past" and move to causative or passive until later. same for all other grammar types

2) by grammar grouping
eg verbs / noun forms / modals / pronouns ... and the various sub-types of each.
modals of advice/requests/ability are subtopics of "modals"

3) by grouping
group topics together that fit well together, to make lessons with more flow and variety.
eg put conditionals and comparatives together, so you can teach something like "If you pick the largest one..."

4) other methods?

This is a huge topic, so any advice or pointers to examples of course outlines or other places to discuss the topic would be great. Thanks!

dcsan

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
FWIW I worked on this japanese grammar site which breaks down the grammar much more atomically: http://jgram.org/

But I'm not sure how to categorize in an organized way all these individual grammar points like these LV2 items:
http://jgram.org/pages/viewList.php?lv=2

these are more like sentence patterns. very useful, but hard to group. maybe a lot of these are modals or connections, eg "based on / because of / despite / the more you A the more B " ... but i'd like some type of ontology to organize things at a higher level.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This is outside the scope of this forum.

not a teacher

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Wouldn't organising them by difficulty be a natural progression for a game, as games tend to progress the same way?

Status
Not open for further replies.