[Vocabulary] Book section entitling (restaurants guide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

olivier0

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I am thinking about how should be entitled a final section (of a restaurants guide) where the restaurants are organized according to several practical information / criteria. I had thought about "practical information", simply, but I wouldn't want readers to think, at the reading of the contents page, that the practical information of each restaurant is not included in the main section of the book where restaurants are presented in detail.

So now I think about entitling it around the idea that this is a classification of the restaurants according to different practical information. For instance you find in this final section a table where you can see the opening days of all the restaurants at a glance, letting you know which restaurants are open on Sundays for dinner. That's just an example.

Which wording would be the most appropriate and intelligible? "Practical classification / organization"or just... "practical information"? Maybe "practical information at a glance"?

Thanks very much.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You can call it an index which is divided into different classifications such as star-rating, cuisine, opening days, locations, etc.

'Entitled' should be 'titled'.

not a teacher

olivier0

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks Ted, anyone else?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Last edited:

olivier0

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks JM, it helps a lot. Any other ideas? I would appreciate to get a few more original ideas and/or opinions on the existing options: "practical information index", "a summary of useful information", "practical information at a glance", how does it sound? Thanks!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I think the "at a glance" idea is good.
Maybe you could give the section a main heading and a sub-heading.
Something like: The Guide at a Glance: a summary of practical information.
Of course "useful" also works.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Zagat" is probably the most well-known restaurant guide in the US. After the individual restaurant listings there is a section called "Indexes". It is subdivided into cuisines, locations (neighborhoods), special features (brunch, buffet, BYO, child friendly, entertainment, open late, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.