Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

I would like to ask you how to express the following thought.

Suppose that an offer has been accepted and the customer decided to place an order with us and I would like to confirm that facts.
A confirmation of your accepting our offer and placing an order with the Yard in writing should be sent at least 2 weeks ahead of delivering the ship to the Yard, for the purpose of starting the procedure for purchasing materials and performing possible earlier fabrications.

Does it sound right?

What about this?

A confirmation stating/informing that you accept/have accepted our offer and are placing an order with the Yard in writing should be sent at least 2 weeks ahead of delivering the ship to the Yard, for the purpose of starting the procedure for purchasing materials and performing possible earlier fabrications.

What do you think?

I would be grateful for any comments.

Thank you.

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your question is confusing... placing an order with the Yard in writing should be sent at least 2 weeks ahead of delivering the ship to the Yard, for the purpose of starting the procedure for purchasing materials and performing possible earlier fabrications. What is the customer placing an order for? Are they ordering a ship? Are you trying to say that purchase of the necessary materials and fabrication of the ship will begin immediately after receipt of the written order, and that the purchaser must allow at least two weeks after submitting the order for the ship to be delivered?

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
They are placing an order for jobs.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
They are placing an order for jobs.

What type of jobs? I guess it is some kind of machinery since you mentioned the purchasing of materials and fabrication.

delivering the ship to the Yard,

Like Jill asked, are you supplying a ship? Or is the ship meant to pick up the item to be delivered?

What is the 'Yard'?

Your statement raises a lot of questions.

not a teacher

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If they give you an order, that should be all the confirmation that is needed!

I assume you are giving a quotation for work. If they give you a purchase order, that is their signal to you that they want to purchase the work from you.
You would then send a confirmation of your acceptance of the order to the customer, and work out any commercial terms or differences between the quotation and the customer's PO.

"A written purchase order should be sent at least 2 weeks before delivering the ship to the Yard, to allow for the purchasing of materials and manufacturing of any necessary fabrications."

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A lot of work is to be done on a ship. A piece of equipment is to be mounted on her. I won't go into details now.

What I asked you to do was to tell me if "a confirmation of" can be followed by -ing structure like "your accepting our offer and placing an order with the Yard......."

Status
Not open for further replies.