Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This month, our Internet usage level was __________ the monthly average because we spent a lot more time doing research and contacting potential clients.

A. higher
B. exceeding
C. above
D. more

Key: ?

I am wondering between B and D, what would you guys choose?

I think B is a good answer because exceed means to be greater than, whilst above average points out a slighter change than normal.

A friend of mine said it has to be was exceeded, but in my opinion we cannot use Passive Voice here. I didn't find any souce stating that Passive Voice is needed.

Am I wrong?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For me, the correct answer is C. For B to be correct, it should be "usage level exceeded". For D to be correct, it would have to be "more than". The passive voice would be incorrect.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I got your point. I shouldn't have used the continous tense in this question because the whole sentence was in a simple past one.

However, I still want to ask about a little difference between these two words.

I think B is a good answer because exceed means to be greater than, whilst above average points out a slighter change than normal.

greater and slighter, is this right?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Exceeded the average" and "was above the average" have pretty much the same meaning.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hồ Quang Trung;1105201 said:
However, I still want to ask about a little difference between these two words.

greater and slighter, is this right?

No- above average could be a small difference or a huge one. The key to this question does not hinge on shades of meaning- they all mean much the same,so the answer is to be found in the grammatical forms used. Generally, when all the possible answers mean the same thing,the correct answer fits the grammar- it might not make more sense, but it's the only one that can take a gerund/to infinitive,come after that preposition, etc.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Great thanks for all answers. I have no more questions to ask.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hồ Quang Trung;1105302 said:
[STRIKE]Great[/STRIKE] Many thanks for all the/your answers. I have no more questions to ask.

Please note my corrections above. However, also please note that there is no need to write a new post to say "Thanks". Simply click on the Thank button in the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.