English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Which is the most logical choice?

1) Mother didn't have to cook/needn't have cooked a meal last night as we were going out.

2. I didn't have to cook/needn't have cooked a meal last night because we went out.

I think, without any furter context, both are possible in. Am I right?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They mean different things.

'Mother didn't have to cook a meal last night ... ' (so she didn't cook a meal).

'Mother needn't have cooked a meal last night ... ' (but she cooked a meal anyway).

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, I know about this difference. This was a task from a test where you need to choose just one variant. And I thought I might not understand the context well enough to choose only one structure. Can we say that both variants are possible in both sentences?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Which is the most logical choice?
1) Mother didn't have to cook/needn't have cooked a meal last night as we were going out.
2. I didn't have to cook/needn't have cooked a meal last night because we went out.
Both are possible. There might be a slight preference for ''didn't have to cook" in both. In the first sentence, because we already knew we were going out, Mother would probably have been informed, and hence she would know that she didn't have to cook.
In the second sentence, firstly, you are the one of those who went out, and therefore probably knew you were going out, making the first option more likely again.
But yes they are both possible in both sentences.
If the sentence had read "Mother didn't have to cook/needn't have cooked a meal last night because we ended up going out", I'd suggest "needn't have".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They're both usable.

I wonder if they people who wrote the test didn't know the (potential) difference between "I didn't need to + bare infinitive ..." and "I needn't have + present perfect ...".

I didn't need to cook dinner last night because we went out to eat. (Impossible to tell if I did cook dinner or not.)
I didn't have to cook dinner last night because we went out to eat. (Impossible to tell if I did cook dinner or not.)
I needn't have cooked dinner last night we went out to eat. (I did cook dinner but it wasn't necessary.)

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
They're both usable.
I wonder if they people who wrote the test didn't know the (potential) difference between "I didn't need to + bare infinitive ..." and "I needn't have + present perfect ...".

On the contrary, (IMO) the people who wrote the test wanted to emphasize the difference between these two structures, but their mistake was that they failed to find proper sentences which could highlight the difference.

I didn't need to cook dinner last night because we went out to eat. (Impossible to tell if I did cook dinner or not.)
Why impossible? I thought "didn't have to/didn't need to" always means "didn't do because it wasn't necessary"...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why impossible? I thought "didn't have to/didn't need to" always means "didn't do because it wasn't necessary"...

"I didn't have to go to the party but I went anyway". As you can see "I didn't have to" in that sentence does not mean "I didn't go".

Status
Not open for further replies.