Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. freddie
    Guest
    #1

    Question meaning of "-le"

    Dear Sir or Madam,
    I want to know the meaning of the suffix '-le',but I do not see explanations in dictionary.
    I have seen it in words like startle,handle,jingle,and so on.
    I deeply believe learning meaning of suffixs can help me comprehend English much better.
    longing for your help.

  2. queenbu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 1,031
    #2

    Re: meaning of "-le"

    As far as I know 'le' are just two letters at the end of the word.They don't have a specific meaning.start is a word and startle is a completely different word.It's not like the suffix -ly.slow-slowly;quick-quickly Here it changes the word from an adjective into an adverb.


    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 4
    #3

    Lightbulb Re: meaning of "-le"

    Hello,to me le is no more than a phonestheme;just consider that they are two letters appart but they don't deeply have any influence on the meaning of a given word.
    Phonesthemes are not considerered by linguists as a morpheme or an affix.
    In most of the words they appear at random I guess.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 33
    #4

    Smile Re: meaning of "-le"

    As a matter of fact,it is

    I saw the"with a frequentative or diminutive force" explanation of "-le" as a suffix

    on a web giving knowledge about English through my native language

    that I want to confirm it among pure-English contexts,and I happened to see this site.

    I doubt the exactness of explaining English by some other language.

    And now I see this from Dictionary.com Word FAQs:-le* often(verb),little(noun).I suppose my question is resolved.

    However,thank you very much,you two the above who put forword your helping hand. with all my

    sincerity.I did not hold the hope that I would meet with any help.
    Last edited by freddie; 28-Apr-2006 at 13:04.

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #5

    Re: meaning of "-le"

    Welcome, Freddy.

    The suffix -le, also -el, (Anglo-Saxon in origin) was once a diminutive marker; e.g., navel, gravel; Cheatle (a place name).

    All the best.

  4. rewboss's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2006
    • Posts: 1,552
    #6

    Re: meaning of "-le"

    "startle" comes from Middle English "stertlen", meaning "to stumble" or "to rush", and is the frequentative of "sterten", "to walk".

    "handle" comes from "hand" and refers to something which is designed to be held in the hand. I suppose it could be a "little hand", I'm not sure.

    "jingle", apparently, is echoic, meaning that the word itself sounds like the thing it is referring to (here, the sound of a number of small bells or other metal objects). In this word, then, the "-le" ending truly has no actual meaning.

  5. queenbu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 1,031
    #7

    Re: meaning of "-le"

    I never knew there were so many prefixes and suffixes!!!
    http://ueno.cool.ne.jp/let/prefix.html
    However I didn't find -le.Is it because it's a 'has- been'?Is 'has-been' used only for people?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 33
    #8

    Wink Re: meaning of "-le"

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Welcome, Freddy.
    The suffix -le, also -el, (Anglo-Saxon in origin) was once a diminutive marker; e.g., navel, gravel; Cheatle (a place name).
    All the best.
    Hi,Casiopea.I've found this forum really a great place.

    I will enjoy myself here.

    You say "-le" was once a diminutive marker,does that mean nowadays it has no longer been the diminutive marker?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 33
    #9

    Smile Re: meaning of "-le"

    Thanks a million for your kind and detailed help ,rewboss.


    Quote Originally Posted by rewboss
    "startle" comes from Middle English "stertlen", meaning "to stumble" or "to rush", and is the frequentative of "sterten", "to walk".
    And I still have a puzzle:

    Since "stertlen" is the frequentative of "sterten",then if I repeat the action of walking,am I rushing?




    Quote Originally Posted by rewboss
    "handle" comes from "hand" and refers to something which is designed to be held in the hand. I suppose it could be a "little hand", I'm not sure.
    handle (n.) - O.E. handle, formed from hand in the sense of a tool in the way that "thimble" was formed from thumb.The verb is O.E. handlian "to touch or move with the hands."

    I guess perhaps because the comparing object to hand is rather large.




    Quote Originally Posted by rewboss
    "jingle", apparently, is echoic, meaning that the word itself sounds like the thing it is referring to (here, the sound of a number of small bells or other metal objects). In this word, then, the "-le" ending truly has no actual meaning.
    On webs of my lannguage,I saw"-le" in "jingle" are also put in category "with a frequentative force",I suppose maybe that's because the action of making that sound is repeated.


    Thanks again.I love the way you say things in your reply. You make them seem so clear and logical.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 33
    #10

    Question Re: meaning of "-le"

    Quote Originally Posted by queenbu
    I never knew there were so many prefixes and suffixes!!!
    http://ueno.cool.ne.jp/let/prefix.html
    However I didn't find -le.Is it because it's a 'has- been'?Is 'has-been' used only for people?

    queenbu,maybe the suffix list you hold only includes the most usual ones.

    I don't see "-le" suffix in dictionary either,do I?

    Moreover,I'm not quite clear about your last sentence.What do you mean
    by "is 'has-been' used only for people?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sense and Meaning
    By Infinity in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2005, 10:39
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2005, 14:36
  3. the meaning of an adjective
    By sariputra in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Jun-2005, 10:16
  4. UNDERSTAND MEANING...please help
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2005, 04:49

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •